The SCN wiki will not be available for new content submission starting September 11th 6PM CET until September 14th 6PM CET. Please plan your SCN wiki tasks accordingly.
This page contains explanations of all the different BW table types.
a 'one stop shop' of the BW relevant table types.
Table Type Listing:
- Attribute tbl for Time Independent attributes:
- stored with characteristic values
Attribute tbl for Time Dependent attributes:
- Fields DATETO & DATEFROM are included in time dependent attribute tbl.
- stored with characteristic values
- Dimension tbls (i.e. DIM tables): /BI*/D<Cube_name><dim.no.>
- stores the DIMID, the pointer between fact tbl & master data tbl
- data is inserted during upload of transact.data (data is never changed, only inserted)
- /bic/D(cube name)P is the package dimension of a content cube
- /bic/D(cube name)U is the unit dimension of a content cube
- /bic/D(cube name)T is the time dimension of a content cube
- /bic/D(cube name)I is the user defined dimension of a content cube
External Hierarchy tables:
- /BI*/I*, /BI*/J*, /BI*/H*, /BI*/K*
- are tables that occur in the course of an optimized preprocessing that contains many tables.
- bic/H(object name) hierarchy data of object
- For more information see SAP Note 514907.
- In SAP BW, there are two Fact tables for including transaction data for Basis InfoCubes: the F- and the E-Fact tables.
- /bic/F(cube name) is the F-fact table of a content cube
- /bic/E(cube name) is the E-fact table of a content cube
- The Fact tbl is the central tbl of the InfoCube. Here key figures (e.g. sales volume) & pointers to the dimension tbls are stored (dim tbls, in turn, point to the SID tbls).
- If you upload data into an InfoCube, it is always written into the F-fact table.
- If you compress the data, the data is shifted from the F-fact table to the E-fact table.
- The F-fact tables for aggregates are always empty, since aggregates are compressed automatically
- After a changerun, the F-fact table can have entries as well as when you use the functionality 'do not compress requests‘ for Aggregates.
- E-fact tbl is optimized for Reading => good for Queries
- F-fact tbl is optimized for Writing => good for Loads
- See SAP Notes 631668 & 1461926 (links to which are further down this page).
Master Data tables:
- /bic/M(object name) master data of object
- Master data tables are independent of any InfoCube
- Master data & master data details (attributes, texts & hierarchies) are stored.
- Master data table stores all time independent attributes (display & navigational attribues)
Navigational attributes tables:
- SID Attribute table for time independent navigational attributes: /BI*/X<characteristic_name>
- SID Attribute tbl for time dependent navigational attributes: /BI*/Y<characteristic_name>
- Nav.attribs can be used for naviagtion purposes (filtering, drill down).
- The attribs are not stored as char values but as SIDs (master data IDs).
- P-table only gets filled if you load master data explicitly.
- As soon as the SID table is populated, the P tbl is populated as well
- SID tbl: /BI*/S<characteristic>
- stores the char value (eg customer number C95) & the SID. The SID is the pointer that is used to link the master data tbls & the dimension tbls. The SID is generated during the upload (uniqueness is guaranteed by a number range obj).
- Data is inserted during the upload of master data or of transactional data
- S table gets filled whenever transaction gets loaded. That means if any new data is there for that object in the transactions then SID table gets fillled.
- Text tbl: /BI*/T<characteristic>
- stores the text for the chars
- data is inserted & changed during the upload of text data attribs for the InfoObject
- stored either language dependent or independent
SAP Note 514907: Processing complex queries (data mart, and so on)
SAP Note 631668: DEADLOCK when loading data into InfoCubes
SAP Note 1461926: FAQ: BW report SAP_INFOCUBE_DESIGNS