Variables in BW give the flexibility to the user to choose a value for a characteristic during query runtime.
With BW you can create different types of variables, based on the need:
Type of variable(VARTYP)
These variables also can differ in the processing type, the following types are distinguished:
User entry / default value
A variable can also carry a different amount of values:
multiple single values
- Replacement Path (VPROCTP 1):
The Replacement Path is selected when the value of a variable shall be automatically replaced when you execute the query. The processing type Replacement Path can be used with three different types of variables:
- Characteristic value variables
- Text variables
- Formula variables
Text and formula variables with the processing type Replacement Path are replaced by a corresponding characteristic value. The variable wizard takes you automatically to the Characteristic dialog step, in which you select the reference characteristic for replacement. Characteristic value variables with the processing type Replacement Path, are replaced by the results of a query. In the Replacement Path dialog step, select the query whose result you want to use as the variable. You can now use the data result of the selected query as a variable in a different query. The characteristic values of the so called Prequery are used to restrict the corresponding Info Object in the Resultset query. Be aware of the fact e.g. if no value is passed to the Resultset query, all possible values will be shown, its like no restriction is made!
- Customer Exit (VPROCTP 3):
When you choose the processing type Customer Exit it means if the query is executed the fm EXIT_SAPLRRS0_001 is called for this type of variable. Before you can use your own coding in the exit you have to create a project and assign the so called enhancement RSR00001 to it. You can fill variables in the reporting are at different points of time, but always within the coding of the exit RSR00001. For further explanation see the part Customer Exit.
- SAP Exit (VPROCTP 4):
If the variable is of type SAP-Exit it calls the function module RREX_VARIABLE_EXIT where the system derives the values for this kind of variables. We cannot do a lot of analysis for this type, only check if it’s filled correctly and if the restrictions are taken into account in FILL_SP_1.
- User entry / default value (VPROCTP 5):
In this case the variable comes with the Popup and expects an entry. This type also can be set to “not ready for input”, which is not very reasonable. So if the customer states that the variable is not shown in the popup, also check for a user entry variable if it shall be displayed, this can save a lot of time!
- Authorization (VPROCTP 6):
- If it’s filled by authorization and a value, then the routine VALUE_FROM_AUTHORITY_FILL is executed which calls the authority check. For a value it’s RSSB_GET_AUTH_FOR_USER.
- When the variable is of the type node, the variable does not get filled in RRS_VAR_VALUES_EXIT_BEFORE, the RRS_REPORT_INIT_START calls the subroutine NODES_WITH_INPUT_FROM_AUTH which calls the authorization check. The call stack for hierarchy node variables filled by authorization is the following: SAPLRSSBR FUNCTION RSSB_GET_AUTH_HIER_FOR_USERSAPLRRS0 FORM NODES_FROM_AUTHORITY_FILLSAPLRRS0 FORM NODES_WITH_INPUT_FROM_AUTHSAPLRRS0 FUNCTION RRS_REPORT_INIT_START