There are 5 possibilities to print barcodes, each of them coming with rather restrictive requirements:
- using New Barcode Technology :
- it was originally available only for Smart Forms (see Step-by-step New Barcode Technology for Smart Forms), but was brought to SAPscript forms, from 7.0, with Note 1558595 - SAPscript: New bar code technology for SAPscript
- On a printer that can print barcodes natively using PDL commands
- It is available for example on Zebra printers, Kyocera FS-1500, etc.
- You have to create a system barcode (SE73 transaction) based on the so-called old barcode technology (you must enter the printer commands in SB*** print controls for each device type, if SAP does not provide them), and create a character format in your SAPscript that refers to this system barcode.
- It doesn't work with Frontend printing as the barcode printer command is valid for only one printer model (or printer language). More precisely, it might work, but only if the user chooses to print on this printer model. For a workaround, see barcode.dll below.
- Purchase and install a barDimm in the printer (only a few models are supported). It will then work as if the printer is able to print barcodes natively, see first possibility (above).
- Note 5196 - Printing bar codes with SAPscript: SIMM/DIMM hardware modules (firmware?) you need, which printers are supported, description of sapscript bar codes according to PDL. Jetmobile BarDIMM (previously JetCAPS BarDIMM), Lexmark OPTRA Bar code SIMM. Actions of all SAPscript drivers on print control codes (like adding quotes or parentheses around the code).
- Note 197177 - Printing 2-D bar codes with SAPscript: gives some general explanations: "SAPscript has an upper limit of 70 characters which can be maximally transferred as data to be output for a bar code" (see also Note 497380 Maximum bar code length of 70 characters)
- For using frontend printing, purchase barcode.dll software which will transform barcode into graphic
- Note 25344 - Interface SAPSprint (SAPFprint) Barcode DLL (details): "The SAPSprint or SAPFprint delegates the task of printing barcodes to an external DLL. SAP does not provide a barcode DLL." This note contains technical specification that barcode DLL needs to implement (parameters of functions BarcodeInit and BarcodePrint). It also gives the names of 3 vendors.
- Note 14561 - Use SAPSprint/SAPLPD and Barcode DLL to print barcodes
- Note 1079665 - Missing formats and bar codes in SAPWIN device types: In releases 7.01 to 7.11, many SWIN device types were delivered without barcode codes
- Use fonts which simulate barcodes. For some symbologies, like EAN-13, you will have to develop an algorithm because a same digit is coded using several "characters" according to its position. For example, in EAN-13, each digit may be coded using 3 bar sequences according to the digit position and to the first digit value.
Barcodes appear correctly only on printout, but only a simulated rectangle made of black and white stripes is shown in print preview and in conversion of form into PDF.
Prefer to use smart forms and new barcode technology if the barcode symbology is supported. New barcode technology is not available for SAPscripts.
- No labels