Spool files which contain a graphic and also consist of many pages are excessively large. You can see this as follows:
- Create a spool file which has many pages and contains a graphic on every page (eg. company logo or background graphic)
- The spool file is excessively large. You can check the size of the spool file in SP01:
- Double-click on the spool number
- Go to tab Temse Attributes
- see "Size in bytes"
In transaction SE78, for the graphic contained in the spool, the setting 'Resides in printer Memory' is not set. If the flag 'Resides in Printer Memory' is set, then the graphic will only be sent once to the printer instead of for each page.
For large PDFs, there maybe other possible causes as outlined in note 843480 "PDF conversion: Compression of bitmaps and TrueType fonts".
- Go to transaction SE78.
- For the graphic that is contained in the problem spool, set the flag 'Resides in Printer Memory'.
- Now the graphic will only be sent once to the printer instead of for each page, and the spool file size is reduced.
- For large PDF files, please also check the following note for other possible causes:
- # 843480 - PDF conversion: Compression of bitmaps and TrueType fonts