This page describes BEx installation check tool SAPBExC. It is an Excel file with macros which carries out a version check of all BW Front-End files. Furthermore the check collects key information about your installation.
- The installation check should be executed after each Front-End Installation or Front-End Update. So you can make sure that the current installation is fine.
- SAP support needs the installation check result file for any Front-End / Precalculation Server related issue.
- Please note: For checking the Precalculation Server Installation the Precalculation Service needs to be run.
Please find following paragraphs:
- Excecuting the Front-End Installation Check (including Precalculation Server Installation Check)
- Understanding result Sheet: Front-End Installation
- Understanding result Sheet: Precalculation Server Installation
1 - Excecuting the Front-End Installation Check
- Please use the latest available version from BEx installation check tool SAPBExC. The file is provided as attachment to note 1229206. It is also delivered/installed with the BEx Front-End patch, located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\SAP Shared\BW.'
- Make sure that Excel macros are enabled:
- Open the SAPBExC file and press the button 'Start'.
If you run the installation check on Precalculation Server please start first MS Excel as administrator (Shift + right mouse click > Run as administrator), then open the SAPBExC file.
- When you start the xla file on a PC with MS Excel 2007 (or newer), following Microsoft Excel pop-up appears.
Confirm this pop-up with 'Yes' or change the file extension from xla to xls on your local drive before.
- To start the Installation Check click on button 'Start':
- After check has been executed a popup is shown wich shows you a short result summary:
- Please save the excel file on your desktop and attach it to SAP Message, if requested by SAP-Support.
2 - Understanding result Sheet: Front-End Installation
- The first rows of 'Result SAP GUI 7.x' sheet looks like following:
Most important header information are:
- revision of SAPBExC file
- computer name
- Excel version
- Windows version
- SAP GUI version
- The following rows show the result of the version check: The installation check has been compared the version of the files on the PC with the version which is mentioned in the column C of the Excel worksheet. Incorrect or problematic files are highlighted in color and marked with an Excel comment.
- Green means everything is correct
- Yellow means that the version on the PC or in the installation directory is higher than expected. However, this must not necessarily be a problem.
- Red means that a version is smaller than installed version. This happens if the installation program could not replace/register the older version. It can also happen when any files was locked at the time of installation. If the user involved in installation process does not have enough authorisation, the files cannot be replace/update/registered, resulting error seniaro. This Problem must be solved. In 99% a installation of higher patch by a user with Administrator on the local PC solves the issue. In some rare cases user needs to deinstall the complete SAPGUI as described here and reinstall it again.
- Blue means that the version of files is higher than required. The files highlighted blue do not really belong to BW but are used by BW. This may be a problem but is not necessarily one.
- The following screenshots shows you where you can find the version of the installed BI 7.0 ADDON, our example shows Front-End patch FEP900:
- If BW3.5 Add-On is installed on PC, then you will find following entry, our example shows patch 12. If BW3.5 Add-On is not installed, then corresponding rows are hidden.
- Here you find the installed .Net Frameworks:
- The last block shows important registry entries:
- In 1st row you find the country key, click here to get the Locale IDs assigned by Microsoft.
- It follow the formats for numbers, currency and date. These can be defined in the 'Regional & Language' settings in the Windows Control Panel.
- At the end you find the Trust Center security settings:
- RequireAddinSig: MS Excel Options > Trust Center > Add-ins > Require Application Add-uns to be signed by Trust Publisher
- WorkbookLinkWarnings: MS Excel Options > Trust Center > External Content > Security settings for Workook Links
- DataConnectionWarnings: MS Excel Options > Trust Center > External Content > Security settings for Data Connections
- VBAWarnings: ...
- AccessVBOM: MS Excel Options > Trust Center > Macro Settings > Trust access to the VBA project model
3 - Understanding result Sheet: Precalculation Server Installation
- If the installation check is executed on a Precalculation Server then the second 'Precalculation Server installation check' is started immediately after the Front-End installation check has ended. To see the result switch to the second sheet.
- The upper part of the sheet shows same information as on the 'Front-End installation check' sheet:
- It follows the Precalculation Server files. In following screen you can find Precalculation Server patch 900:
- If you have run SAPBExC file as administrator then a folder-check could be executed. Our example shows the result for a 64BIT Windows operating system.
If folder check was not successfully, then please review wikipage Checklist for Precalculation Server and follow point 5.
- Following block shows the REGEDIT entries from HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SAP.BusinessExplorer.Analyzer\BW_PRECALC:
- SHOWEXCEL: Displays Excel Instance while precalculation in Console Mode (default = false).
- KEEP_FILES: true = Delete the precalculated BExAnalyzer workbooks or keep them (default = false)
- INSTANCE_RETRY_COUNT: Number of tries to create an MS Excel instance (default = 60).
- PREC_TRACE: Switchs trace recording on/off (default = false). See note 1296081.
- In next block you can find information about both Precalculation Server services and their status. Only one service should be run.
We recommend to use the Multi Instance service. For this service it is mandatoy to maintain a specific user.
For getting details about service configuration please review wikipage Recommendation for using Precalculation Server - can be deleted
- Following block shows the installed Precalculation Server instances. As recommend by SAP the example shows 3 instances.
If your result is empty then your installation is not correct.
For Adding/Changing/Deletion please review wikipage Creation and Deletion of Precalculation Server.
Link to this page: http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/x/KIe-Eg