Getting started with SAP BI
How do you get started on SAP BI - this wiki section offers you pages updated by SCN members on how and where you can get started with SAP BI
Being quite a lucrative and interesting domain, SAP BI attract many newcomers. Many people ask questions in the SDN forums about the best way to get started with SAP BW. As someone that got started two years ago, i would like to provide my two cents on this:
- If you don't have one, create an SDN account. If you will be working in SAP BW it's an invaluable thing.
- Read Datawarehousing books written by Ralph Kimbal or Bill Inmon to familiarize yourself with the basic concepts of data warehousing. This is the foundation of the entire thing.
- Follow the SAP training materials on BW Data Warehousing, BW Reporting and BW Modeling. In case your company doesn't fund training, propose them to fund SAP books instead. There are several books that can help you a lot when getting started (all of them are displayed in the Amazon List i prepared - http://www.amazon.com/SAP-BW-Book-List/lm/RRWM7R55RBEXQ/ref=cm_lmt_srch_f_2_rsrsrs2/103-7157721-8001426).
- After you have a solid BW knowledge, start to review the help.sap.com site.
- Get familiar with the basics of ABAP programming. I recommend on two books that are indispensable here: one is Horst Keller's ABAP Objects and the second is Dirk Herzog's book on ABAP for BW (the best 85 bucks you will ever spend for a BI book).
- Start to review SDN white papers (i think the most useful BW is white paper is: https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/6ce7b0a4-0b01-0010-52ac-a6e813c35a84), webcasts, read the forums.
- Need a BI system to practice? Load the ABAP Sneak preview. Download it from the "Downloads" section. I wrote a quick how to guide that will help you to get started with your first BI data model. You can find it at: How to guide;
- People ask about the importance of SAP Functional knowledge for the BI developer. Well, i think functional ECC knowledge is nice to have, however i would recommend to go deeper into SAP ECC functional domains once you are given your first assignment.
*** Taken from multiple pages for consolidation *****
What is SAP BW and what is SAP BI ?
SAP BW refers to previous non Netweaver releases of SAP BI where SAP Business Information Warehouse (BIW) or Business Warehouse for short was the version used. Post Netweaver the versions starting from 3.5 and beyond were rechristened as SAP Business Intelligence or SAP BI.