This new type of variables is available as of BW 740. It is a characteristics variable with replacement path by 'Current member' and can be used in restricted keyfigures together with a shift operator. For each cell in the query result, the "Current Member" will be replaced with the restriction of the corresponding characteristic on this cell (static filter, dynamic filter, restriction generated by the drilldown chars... see Processing of Filter Values).
Simple Sample Query (see transaction RSFC)
The following very simple example should convey the basic idea of this feature. It is a sales scenario, with Calendar Year/Month in the drill down. Calendar Year is restricted to 2007 in query designer (global filter).
There are three key figures:
- Net Sales(basic key figure): Displays the Net sales for the months in drilldown.
- Previous: In this selection, there is a restriction on Calendar Year/Month with variable 0CURMEM_CALMONTH with an offset value -1
- Difference: This is a formula which simply finds the difference between, Net Sales and Previous.
- Current Member Variables are designed only for characteristics can be used in a time dimension, or characteristics refer to them. 0CALMONTH2 and 0FISCPER3 are not supported because the derivation of the value to other time characteristics are non unique.
- There are delivered variables as 0CURMEM_CALDAY or 0CURMEM_CALMONTH, but you can also create such a variable of your own.
- You can define different offset to a current member. However dynamic offset is not possible.
- If CM var is used in a range filter, it always needs a global filter on a time characteristic with upper/lower limit. Otherwise the CM var can't be calculated and you will get a warning.
- Exclusive filter that using CM variable is not supported
- When using CM var with fiscal periods:
- A hard filter of fiscal variant is needed
- pay attention that special periods are not counted when calculate fiscal period offset. (See KBA 1589478)
- When using CM var in a non-cumulative query, the validity range is decided by time value of the real data, not the display time range after shifting in current member.
- In free characteristic section, it is not possible to add time char that can't be derived from the CM char. This will avoid invalid time combinations when drill down in query result.
- Time-Dimension has to be consistent => since filters on one time characteristic can be transformed to filter on other time characteristic. See also note 2237679 .
- Each structure element with a CM variable gets its own OLAP Read Request. For each read request, the data is read independently. So a query using too many CM varialbes needs to consider its memory consumption and performance. The system reads the data from the database, in the granularity of the characteristic of the CURRENT MEMBER.
- A key figure restricted by CM variable can't be input ready.
- Structure member that using CM var will not generate additional cells. That is, only cells with posted value will be shown in query result. This may cause some confusion to understand the query result when you are using range restriction with CM variable (similar like constant selection situation). You may switch on access query result set as master data to better understand the result numbers. And KIDSEL won't be ignored for if CM variable is used, for performance concern. This is different from CS situation (KIDSEL will be ignored if CS is involved).
- Derivation relationship is only took into account for standard delivered time characteristics (0CAL* and 0FISC*). If you are using time characteristics refer to standard time characteristics, the cumulation will happen only on the time characteristic that the CM var is defined on.
- The restriction of CM variable is linked with other local restrictions (in the same FEMS) with AND.
See restrictions in Note 1957248.
Also see the Restrictions section in Current Member Variable.
SAP Online Documentation
SAP Consulting Notes
2237679 - Time Charateristics and Current Member Variables
In order to better understand OLAP features, it is recommended to play arround with the delivered sample queries in transaction RSFC (How to use RSFC, see KBA 1508237). Regarding Current member Variables are 2 sample queries.
TOPICS / Sample Queries
How to search related code fix
Search Notes with 'CurrentMember' or 'Current Member'