Possible F4 Modes
The mode being passed to the value help processor dictates where (which database table) the data is to be fetched from. In BW you can set 3 F4 modes:
- M-mode ('Values in Master Data Table'): in this case all the master data values present in the master data tables (P,Q tables) are fetched for the value help request.
- Q-mode: ('Only Posted values for navigation'): in this case only the values that are present as a part of query result are fetched for the value help request.
- D-mode: ('Only values in infoprovider'): in this case only the values of the characteristics booked in the infocube dimensions are fetched for the value help request.
- A-mode: a special mode, only used by navigation attributes, see below.
The F4-modes are effective using the input-help dialog in the following areas:
- (QD) in BEX Query-Designer when calling the input-help for characteristic-restriction
- (VAR) in the variable-screen when calling the input-help of a variable for characteristic-restriction
- (SF) in the query-result when calling the context-menu choosing "Select Filter Values"
See also note 1565809. I the following we rather focus on the query runtime(VAR and SF) than on the query design time(QD).
Setting the F4 Mode
The 3 F4-modes can be set on the following levels:
1. Infoobject-level in transaction RSD1/BW Modeling Tools
In transaction RSD1, you have the following settings located in the tab "Business Explorer":
- "Query Execution Filter Val. Selection": This setting is relevant for areas VAR and SF.
- "Query Def.Filter Value Selection": Only relevant for area QD. Only modes M and D supported.
In Modeling Tool, you can set F4 mode in option "Selected Filter Values for Query Execution" located in tab "BI Clients"("Selected Filter Values for Query Definition" is only relevant for QD):
2. Infoprovider-level in transaction RSA1/BW Modeling Tools
In transaction RSA1 you need to right-click on the characteristic of the infoprovider and set the F4-mode in the provider-specific properties:
In Modeling Tool, you can set F4 mode in option "Filter Values Selection" located in tab "Output":
3. Query-level in Query Designer
In the Query Designer you can set the F4-mode in the properties of the characteristic:
4. Frontend-level in BEX Analyzer/Web
In Bex Analyzer 7.x or Java web query, you can set the F4 mode in 'User Settings'.
Validity of F4 Modes
The F4-mode can be set on different levels, but only some F4-modes are valid in the areas shown above (QD, VAR, SF). The valid F4-modes in the different areas depend on the infoprovider the BW-query is based on:
|InfoCube, DSO, HybridProvider||M, D||M or D||M, D or Q|
|Mutliprovider only containing InfoCubes, DSOs or HybridProviders||M, D||M or D||M, D or Q|
|Other Infoproviders||M||M||if mode is not set to Q, system uses M|
For further details see note 1565809.
F4 Modes for Units and Currencies
For such special characteristics like 0UNIT and 0CURRENCY, it is not possible to specify the F4 mode when maintaining the InfoObject(settings not offered at all in RSD1/Hana BW Tools). By default, the mode D is used. You can only change this setting on InfoProvider level. E .g. for an HCPR in the Hana BW Tools:
F4 Mode for Navigation Attributes
The F4-mode for navigation-attributes is handled differently from normal basic infoobjects. We still have the readmodes M, D and Q for a navigation-attribute A__B, but the system also uses
readmode A which CANNOT be set. Readmode A displays all available values of infoobject B contained in the masterdata-table of infoobect A (for a navigation-attribute A__B). In web-queries the system uses readmode A by default.
For readmode D the system joins the X-table of infoobject A with the dimension-table of the infoprovider.