Transporting a change to the structure of an ODS object
Adding fields is a change to the structure of the ODS. When you import the transport request, the existing tables of the ODS have to be
converted to reflect the change. After adding those fields to the underlying ODS tables (Alter table...) the fields have to be
filled with initial values. If the ODS is large then these update statements could have very long execution times.
When you have large amount of data in the table (ODS), the following is a work around to get the new columns added to the ODS/DSO:
1. Make copy of the existing ODS (ODS1) to ODS2
2. Add new fields to ODS2
3. Load the data from ODS1 to ODS2 using datamart (use ODS2 for further
If you have some reporting queries defined on ODS1 then you need to do
1. Make copy of the existing ODS (ODS1) to ODS2.
2. Load data from ODS1 to ODS2 using datamart.
3. Delete Data from ODS1.
4. Add new fields to ODS1.
5. Reload the data from ODS2 to ODS1 using datamart.