To start working with Data Federator, you create a project in Data Federator Designer, then you can add datasources to the project to connect to the data. In this article you will find the steps to create a project and a datasource to connect to NetWeaver BW. This is one of the steps required for Implementing Data Federator 3.0 With SAP Netweaver BW Connector for Webi Reporting
Creating a project
- Launch Data Federator Designer and logon with sysadmin (password sysadmin) or with and account created for Designer tasks (as described in Configuring Data Federator users for NW BW Deployments). At the top of the window, click Projects.
- Click Add project. The New project window appears.
- Enter a name and click OK.
- The project Configuration appears, click Save. Data Federator adds the project to the list of projects.
Adding a datasource
Once you have a project you can add datasources. To add a datasource for SAP NetWeaver BI:
- Click on the project tab (in this example the "Billing Multiprovider" tab)
- At the top of the Data Federator Designer screen, click Add, and select Add datasource. The New Datasource dialog appears.
- From the tree list, select SAP NetWeaver BI, enter a name, and click OK.
- The draft Connection parameters appears, from the Defined resource list select jco.sap.netweaverBI and specify the parameters to connect to the BI server you are connecting to.
- Click on Get gateway parameters, the default values for gateway parameters are proposed.
- Test the connection by clicking on "Test the connection". If the connection fails, verify the parameters you have specified for the connection.
- Click on Fact table name icon. The Select fact Table dialog appears, where you can select the fact table of the InfoCube you want to connect to.
There is one fact table per InfoCube or MultiCube available in NW BI. The name of the fact table is simply the name of the InfoCube or Multiprovider prexifed by an "I".
- Select the fact table and click ok. At this point it ill get all the metadata, don't be surprised as this can take a few minutes.
The fact table plays a critical role in the Universe generation as this table will be at the heart of the generated star schema.
- Scrolling down, you can see all the tables associated to this fact table in the datasource tables. The tables associated to the fact table are the dimensional and text tables.
Note that all the tables associated with the fact table are listed with the following conventions:
• The fact table, prefixed by "I" (InfoCube)
• Master Data tables, prefixed by "D" (Dimension)
• Text tables, prefixed by "T" (Text)
- Click Save.
Later, if you update your NW BW system, come back at this stage, select all the tables and click on Refresh dependents tables.
- When you create a new datasource, Data Federator marks its status as Draft, to indicate that the definition is incomplete. In order to use your datasource, when you finalize the definition, you must make it Final.You can make the datasource final by clicking on the datasoruce name in the tree on the left (in this case click on DSBilling)and then clicking on the Make final button.
- Now you have to the deploy the project into the Data Federator Query Server by clicking on the Deploy button in the project toolbar.
- In the New deployment dialog:
- Enter a name for the deployed project.
- In this example you only have on Data Federator Server, so select Single server.
- Leave the suggested server address and server port.
- For the user and password enter the username and password of the user created for Designer tasks (as described in [ Configuring Data Federator users for NW BI Deployments ]), if you did not create this user enter sysadmin with password sysadmin.
- You can leave the suggested catalog name. Catalogs names start with "/".(When you deploy a project, it becomes a catalog on the Data Federator Query Server)
- Click on OK
To execute well Data Federator strategy during step "Creating SAP BW relational universe", you should not have more than one datasource in your project. If more than one datasource is in catalog /<PROJECT_NAME>/sources, some objects can be missed in Business View of Universe Designer.
- The configuration is complete, if you have already configured the connection between BOE and Data Federator Connectivity configuration between BOE and Data Federator you can now generate the relational universe.
References and links
Callback registration in Netweaver and Data Federator for NW BW Connector
Configuring Data Federator users for NW BW Deployments
Connectivity configuration between BOE and Data Federator
Creating a SAP NetWeaver BW datasource in Data Federator Designer
Implementing Data Federator 3.0 With SAP Netweaver BW Connector for Webi Reporting
Leveraging Data Federator in SAP integrations