These are the detailed steps on migration of the Dashboard based on Add Query (new feature on Dashboards Design 4.0 onwards). It includes some of the best practices which we should follow to avoid any complications while migration.
Who should read this guide?
This should be helpful to Dashboards Designers, BO Admin who wishes to design the dashboard and plans to migrate or move to different environments.
With Dashboards 4.0 onwards, the biggest change or Enhancement happened to product was addition of "Query Panel".
Query Panel in Dashboards(4.0 onwards) is a new feature which allows the users to directly build query based on UNX universe or BEX query in the Dashboards Designer. Query Panel enables to users to build the query in designer and directly bind the components to the query objects. It allows the user bypass excel as well by mapping the object to component. The queries created with Query Panel are embedded with the XLF file, thus it does not need to migrate connections and Dashboards separately.
P.S. Query Panel includes connection to BEX from FP03/SP04 onwards. Connection to BEX query through query panel is not available on SP02.
Below are some of the Best practices you should follow while planning to migrate the Dashboards from one environment to another on BI 4.0/4.1:
Movement of Dashboards Design object on BI 4.0/4.1:
- Check the version of the Dashboards and BI where the Dashboard was built.
- Recommended to have Dashboards Designer and BI platform on the same patch( including SP and Patch).
- Use LCM to upgrade the Dashboard. Check if all the dependencies are selected in LCM while migration.
- If the UNX does not show up in the dependencies, include dependent UNX manually.
- After migration, open the Dashboard using Dashboards Designer .
- Refresh All the queries using the option"Refresh All" in the Query browser.
- Save back to BI platform (without any changes).
- Restart the Dashboards servers once if you still see the issues.
Dashboards build and moved between same patches should not require republishing of the Dashboards objects from the Designer. However in case you notice errors( e.g. xls 000009, xls 000003) try the below steps:
- Re-open the Dashboards in Designer.
- Refresh all the queries from the Query browser panel.
- Republish the Dashboards back to repository.