There is a new feature "Input control" on Web Intelligence Report in BOE XI 3.1 SP2, which allows users to use the control to filter the data on a dimension in the report. However, if users want flexibility to change dimensions at view time, it seems difficult to make it work the same way as the Input control does. For example, based on the eFashion universe, if users want to show the sales revenue, and do the analysis by selecting the group-by dimension from "State" and "Line" separately, they have to create separate reports.
Fortunately, we can apply a trick to leverage the feature of Input control, below is the detailed workflow.
Steps to create a report which we can change dimension at view time
- Start the WebI rich client, create a query and select 3 objects:"City","State" and "Sales revenue", the dimension "City" here will not appear in the report, we only need it to occupy a column position
- Manually modify the query, replace the "City" with "type" which has two values "State" and "Line", and union the two queries to retrieve the data including both by "State" and by "Line":
'State' as type,
'Line' as type,
- refresh the report, you will see data from both group-by State query and group-by Line query. Make the type as the section, we will see two sections in the report, one is the analysis report based on State, the other is based on Line.
- create an Input Control, choose the object "City", label it as "Choose analysis type", input List of Values with "State" and "Line", set the Default value as "State".
- Now you can choose a dimension from the input control panel, when you choose "State", it will show the sales revenue report based on State,
when you choose "Line", it will show the report based on "Line".
With the usability to change dimension at view time, users may have more flexibility when doing analysis with WebI.