What it is
The Universal Worklist enables you to get all your tasks in a single location. This includes Guided Procedures actions, SAP Business Workflow tasks, Knowledge Management Notifications, alerts from the alert framework, Collaboration Tasks, MDM workflow tasks, and even non-SAP tasks.
A user needs to be able to work in a consistent manner regardless of the type of task or activity they need to perform. The Universal Worklist provides a central location for the user to manage SAP and non-SAP tasks.
- All tasks appear in one location, including SAP and non-SAP tasks. There is a UWL API for non-SAP tasks. For SAP tasks we support SAP Business Workflow, Guided Procedures, Alerts, Collaboration Tasks, MDM tasks, and KM Notifications.
- You can launch alternative user interfaces for tasks. For example, you have a business workflow task that displays a screen in an SAP GUI, but you want to launch a Web Dynpro, business server page, URL, or some other alternative user interface. UWL action handlers enable you to launch a variety of different UI handlers.
- Tasks can be customized. This can include user personalization of how they want to work with their tasks, and customization to provide specific data fields, columns, and behavior for tasks.
- Customers that have a strong history of SAP Business Workflow must understand that UWL is not just a replacement for the traditional SAP GUI inbox. UWL is more broad in scope and does not exactly duplicate the SAP GUI inbox.
- Depending on the type of customization you want to do, you may need to do some addtional configuration and customization settings for your users.
Example business scenarios
- Your users must access tasks from mutliple SAP application systems. They require a central source for all tasks.
- In addition to a central location, your users want to process tasks by the task type, for example, process all purchase requisitions for Plant A then find specific purchase requisitions for Plant B.
- You need to access non-SAP tasks, such as Lotus Notes or other non-SAP items in UWL.
Where to get more information
- Online help is the best place to get information on Universal Worklist.
You can also do a search for blogs and forum postings at SDN.
- UWL FAQ
- The SAP PRESS book, Universal Worklist with SAP NetWeaver Portal. A sample chapter is here, and the listings and other resources for the book are in the SDN Wiki here.
- There's an SDN Blog that tells you how to produce your own version of UWL, using the UWL API to get the items for a user.