The purpose of this document is to explain how to upload a configuration file to the Universal Worklist. XML files should not be transported, and should be manually uploaded and downloaded on each respective system via Universal Worklist Administration.
There are two ways that you can customize an xml file. The Universal Worklist provides a configuration wizard to help one make changes to configuration without directly manipulating the xml file. The UWL Configuration Wizard allows you to change the UWL custom attributes and the user interface look and feel using a UI based wizard, as opposed to making changes to the XML file and uploading it. Alternatively you can write your own xml file to include changes to the following:
- Define custom attributes for a task
- Define a default action to launch a task in a certain way when the item is clicked in the Universal Worklist
- Define how the user sees the Universal Worklist user interface, which is the look and feel.
- Define tabs on the Universal Worklist user interface. This includes adding and deleting tabs.
For the purpose of this document we will focus on manually changing the xml file and uploading it to the system.
Manual Configuration and Upload:
The document assumes that you have already written a working xml file free of syntax errors which is compliant. Once this step is complete, you will need to have administration rights on the portal. Navigate to System Administration, System Configuration, Universal Worklist and Workflow, Universal Worklist Administration:
Once you click on the Click to Manage Item types and View Definitions, you will be brought to a screen that looks like this:
Next click on the Upload New Configuration tab and you will be brought to the following screen:
Here in the Upload New Configuration screen we can see that you can do the following:
- Name your file – when naming your file, please be sure that you are using a configuration name without using reserved words. Files named a-d below come preinstalled with the Universal Worklist, at low priority, and should not be overwritten. Please also ensure that you do not name your file with the following names (unless it is documented in an SAP Note to do so, like SAP Note Number: 1811650 UWL is not displayed when you use the X.509 certificate):
- Choose a valid XML or zip file configuration. You can do this by clicking on the browse button and searching for the associated file on your machine.
- When the xml file is set to high priority it overrides the priority of the definition in the webflow xml file which is created by the connector.
- Choose whether or not you want to adapt this to a certain system or make it be applicable to all systems.
- Click on the upload button.
Successful or Unsuccessful:
Based on the uploading of a syntactically correct xml file you should see the following displayed in the Universal Worklist UI:
If the upload is unsuccessful you will be shown an error message and where to check the xml file on the screen. For example an unsuccessful upload looks like this:
In this case the closing tag for </DescriptionBundles> is missing in xml file which is why the error appears.
If manually customizing an xml file, the new file will need to be physically uploaded to the system. So long as the file is syntactically correct, you can upload it successfully to the system. If the xml is incorrect you will receive an error showing where it needs to be fixed.
SAP Help: UWL Content Configuration
SAP SCN WIKI: Checking an XML File with the DTD to Ensure Correctness