When restoring an application set, a valid Business Planning and Consolidation (BPC) backup zip archive exists but the Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services (MS SSAS)database may fail to be created during the normal BPC Server Manager Restore feature.
This may be due to insufficient disk space during normal restore operation, computer crash, power failure, etc.
The contents of the Webfolder, FileDB folder can be manually restored from their corresponding archives and the MS SQL database can be restored from the bak file via the SQL Server Management Studio.
Here are the steps to restore the OLAP database once the Webfolder, FileDB and the MS SQL database have been restored:
- From the Planning and Consolidation Server Manager (aka BPC Server Manager) Appset menu choose Restore. The Step 1 of the Restore Appset wizard will be displayed.
- In the AppSet Folder field type in the location of your extracted backup file contents.
- Leave the Webfolder, FileDB, and SQL database fields empty.
- If using the folder browse button to populate the AppSet Folder field, the Webfolder, FileDB, and SQL database fields may get automatically populated. If that is the case, manually clear them out.
- Choose Next.
- On Step 2 of the Restore Appset wizard, select the values (IP addresses or host names) for the SQL Server, OLAP Server and Insight OLAP Server and choose Next.
- A warning message will be displayed "The system needs to be restarted in order to restore <app set name>. Do you want to continue?"
- Step 3 of the Restore Appset wizard will be displayed. Depending on the size of the database, this step may take several minutes.
Once step 3 it's completed, choose Close.