In search result lists, links to CRM objects, configured to support Object Based Navigation, can now be opened in new tabs/windows, via the standard browser context menu options.
Users can now choose between, opening a link in the work area via clicking, or in a new tab/window via right-clicking.
Please note that this feature is mostly available, from search results lists. But in some cases, when an object related link receives enough information from the application,
the context menu will be available as well, even if this link is not part of a result list.
Implement SAP Note 2135300 - Enable nav links to be opened within a new tab/window to activate this feature.
Reason for Development
So far, CRM was enabling users to navigate to different objects by opening them within the work area, or within a new tab/window.
This was requesting users to open new sessions, and to perform all the navigation steps, and sometimes search operations from scratch.
For some users, this was not flexible enough, as they often have to review information of many objects in tandem, for comparisons purpose, or other reasons.
This feature enhances the usability, as well as the efficiency of the application. Elimination of redundant steps, trying to visualize many objects in parallel.
The number of parallel windows/ tabs you can open for your objects, is limited to the maximum number of sessions per user.
This value can be set via the parameter icm/HTTP/esid_max_ctx, as described in notes 1147394 and 1427190.
Also, IE browser context-menu provides an additional option “Open”, beside the ones “Open in New Window” and “Open in a New Tab”.
This extra option is not supported by this feature, neither the other entries in the menu, not navigation related.
So do not use them, or customize your browser context-menu, to limit the active options.
Finally, this feature should never be activated for IC business roles, as it is not supported there.
Most Common Issues and SAP Notes which are available to resolve these issues:
- Issue: It is observed that some links trigger the opening of a blank page, or a dump page, instead of the expected result.
Resolution: Implement SAP Note 2165100 - Opening links in new tab sometimes results in blank screen to resolve this issue.
- Issue: It is observed that when any work center is clicked in the Navigation Bar of the SAP CRM WebUI, a white screen comes up with the following message:
"The system determines a security problem, application has to be closed. Contact your system administrator".
Resolution: Refer to SAP KBA 2303400 - SAP CRM WebUI: Error after implementing SAP Note 2135300 to resolve this issue.
- Issue: Some navigations trigger a session timeout in the browser, due an infinite loop running in the backend. Also you observe that the opening of some specific objects fails.
Resolution: Implement SAP Note 2223401 - Navigation issues after activation of the link opening within new tab/window to resolve this issue.
- Issue: You execute a saved search and see that hyperlinks in a search result column do not display.
Resolution: Implement SAP Note 2308922 - Hyperlinks in a search result column do not display to resolve this issue.
- Issue: You notice that after navigating in the WebClient, the system will show the loading icon until timeout. You also notice that the backend will be stuck in an infinite loop in class CL_CRM_UI_EXT_NAV_SERVICE.
Resolution: Implement SAP Note 2315234 - Infinite loop after implementing Note 2135300 to resolve this issue.
- Issue: It is observed that even though user has not set 'LINK_CONTEXT_MENU' for a Business Role, the link can be opened in a new tab/window and the context menu is available.
Resolution: Implement SAP Note 2315600 - Navigation links are enabled even though parameter is not set.
- Issue: You notice that when navigating to an object, some incorrect data from other objects are displayed.
Resolution: Implement SAP Note 2333740 - Focus change after navigation leads to incorrect data displayed.