The back-end system has a timeout limit that is reset each time the frontend client (browser) sends a request. If the user leaves his system open for a longtime, or works for a long time without triggering a request to the backend (e.g. entering long text in a text area), the system will timeout without the user noticing and he will lose his current work.
In the case of Desktop notification, most of the time that a user gets the Session Time Out Warning popup is because they are busy working on something else, and that most likely they have the web page minimized in the taskbar. In such cases the user will not realize that his session is about to expire.
Thanks to the timeout warning popup, the user will never lose any work even if the system reaches its timeout limit. Even if the user comes back to his desk after the timeout limit, he will be able to notice that the system needs to be restarted and to copy his work before performing a restart. Thanks to the countdown clock, the user will have more confidence in the system and will not fear a timeout.
With the help of these features, The Web Client UI Framework (WEBCUIF) should warn the user when the system has reached its timeout limit.
To use these new features, following SAP Notes need to be installed:
2092893 - Session Time out Notification
2096030 - Session Time out Enhancement
2414802 - Session Time Out Desktop Notification
Once the SAP Notes are installed, you can turn on the feature for your Business Role by adding the parameter FRONTEND_TIMEOUT to your “PARAMETERS” Function Profile.
The parameter FRONTEND_TIMEOUT can take three different values:
- NOTIF_ONLY: Only the timeout warning popup is enabled
- CLOCK_ONLY: Only the countdown clock is enabled
- ALL: Both the timeout warning popup and countdown clock are enabled
You will also be able to set the timeout warning popup threshold time by using the optional parameter SESS_TIMEOUT_POPUP. If this parameter is not used, the timeout threshold is set by default to 2 minutes. This means that the user will be warned two minutes before the system reaches its timeout limit.
If you are using WebClient Framework with Portal Integration, and wish to use the Timeout Warning Popup feature, ensure that the following SAP Notes are implemented in your system:
2288721 AutoSave is not disabled for Interaction Center business roles
2280217 Rendering and functionality issues with Portal Integration
2264030 Session timeout counter and notification is missing in Portal Integration - Part 2
2258023 Session timeout counter and notification is missing in Portal Integration
- This feature is not supported for Internet Explorer 8 or lower versions of Internet Explorer and is not valid for IC related business roles.
- For IC related business roles check SAP Note 1877120 - CRM-IC: session timeout issue with CRM 7 EHP1 and higher.
- This functionality is available for SAP WEBCUIF 7.0 EhP2 and higher.
Most Common Issues and SAP Notes which are available to resolve these issues:
- Issue: The text length for the session timeout feature is limited to English language only.
Resolution: Implement the following SAP Notes:
- Issue: Logoff Button in the session timeout notification popup does not navigate to the customized logoff URL.
Resolution: Implement SAP Note 2223820 - Session Timeout Notification Logoff Button Navigation.
- Issue: Not able to override the behavior of the "Retstart" button in the Session Timeout popup.
Resolution: Implement SAP Note 2309425 - Allow the behavior of "Restart" button in Session Timeout popup to be overriden to resolve this issue.
- Issue: In CRM UI, if the user switches to a different skin in "Personalization", once the UI is reloaded, the user will notice that the session expiration timer at the top right corner ticks twice as fast as before.
Resolution: Implement SAP Note 2238302 - Session timer needs to be cleared when reloading to resolve this issue.
- Issue: The user has several browser windows or tabs opened on the same system. When the user clicks the "Log Off" link at the top right corner or from the Session Timeout popup, all the sessions in different tabs are terminated.
Resolution: Implement SAP Note 2241382 - Removing the seconds in Session Timeout Counter; Inactive session popup closes active session as well.
- Issue: The Session Timeout Warning still pops up when a BSP error page is displayed.
Resolution: Implement SAP Note 2269896 - Session Timeout Warning still pops up when BSP error page is displayed.
- Issue: Unable to customize the look of the session timeout popup when creating a custom CSS file.
- Resolution: Following SAP Notes should be implemented:
Related SAP Notes/KBAs
1877120 - CRM-IC: session timeout issue with CRM 7 EHP1 and higher
2269249 - Special session handling for IC Agent roles when log off
2253262 - Special session handling for IC Agent roles when log off
2224533 - Server side dump error message is not displayed in CRM; "Your session has timed out".