Kishore Madireddy spent over 5.7 yrs in this SAP BW world. Currently working for Cognizant Technology Solutions in Bangalore who is doing SAP consulting..Besides this, he is a good adviser to his contacts and helps in resolving the issues in SAP BI/BW area. Likes to spend more and more time on challenging environments.
SAP NetWeaver 7.3 Info Wiki
This basically explains the BW 7.3 features :
Hey Dukes, this wiki gives information about 7.3 features based on the existing information that is present in help.sap as well as our favorite knowledge pool sdn.
Of course it may not give the entire features but it will be helpful for up to some extent, which I come across though the knowledge tweaks.
I will publish a series of wikis about this interesting candy topic, as this is a never ending topic till we got full pledged updates.
In this blog, I will be firstly talking about naming change, Documentation change and Modeling LSA.
Let us start with the naming:
The candy term “SAP Net Weaver Business Intelligence” has been renamed and now called as SAP Net Weaver Business Warehouse (SAP Net Weaver BW / BW). Data Warehouse and Analytic Server are both covered by the term SAP Net Weaver Business Warehouse (SAP Net Weaver BW / BW).
Secondly about the sections in documentation.
The structure of the function-orientated view of the SAP Net Weaver Business Warehouse documentation has been changed.
Now it is divided into 5 Sections/Topics
- Data Warehousing
- Analytic Server
- SAP Business Explorer
- Generic Tools and Services
This talks about information on modeling, data management and administration in the BW Data Warehouse.
Talks about information on the BW OLAP server, BW-integrated planning and analysis process design as well as data mining.
It replaces the BI Platform section from previous releases.
SAP Business Explorer
It describes about the tools and functions in the Business Intelligence Suite of SAP NetWeaver (previously known as BI Suite): Business Explorer.
Generic Tools and Services
It informs about information on tools and functions that are used across the areas DW, Analytic Server and SAP BEx.
The information in this section originates mainly from the sections Data Warehouse Management and BI Platform in previous releases.
It gives an overview of the interfaces available in BW and extensive documentation about the Analytic Server interfaces. It replaces the section Additional Development Technologies from previous releases.
Modeling Info Providers is now structured according to the layers in a Data Warehouse.
Modeling data in the BW principally involves data staging and modeling the layers of a Data Warehouse.
Introducing concept of layered scalable architecture.
The concept of Layered Scalable Architecture (LSA), assists you in designing and implementing various layers in the BW system for data acquisition, Corporate Memory, data distribution and data analysis.
Here, we differentiate between two main layers: the Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW) layer and the Architected Data Mart (ADM) layer*.*
The following graphic illustrates the structure of the different layers:
Picture copied from help.sap
EDW layer consists of the data acquisition layer, the quality & harmonization layer, the data propagation layer and corporate memory
- Data Acquisition layer takes the data from source system and distribute it in BW system. This layer gives you a flexibility to fill the targets independently with different timings.
- In quality & harmonization layer the data is transformed and standardized.
- The data propagation layer is used for the application. This layer allows you to consolidate data and therefore can contain multiple levels.
- Corporate memory is filled independently of the update into the architecture data marts. It contains complete history of the loaded data. Mostly it is used for reconstruct the data without the need to access sources again.
In the SAP Net Weaver Business Warehouse, layers of EDW are mapped with the following objects.
Architected Data Mart (ADM) Layer:
- ADM layer consists of the Business Transformation layer and the Reporting layer.
- Business Transformation layer, the data is transformed based on business logic.
- Reporting layer contains objects that are used to perform queries for analysis. It is modeled mainly using info cube. Special infocubes (real-time infocubes) enables you to create planning scenarios here in this layer.
In the SAP NetWeaver Business Warehouse, layers of the ADM are mapped using the following objects:
The following figure outlines how BW objects are integrated in the dataflow:
Copied from help.sap
Hope it helps you to understand more about the layered structure in BW 7.3.
In My next wiki I will be explaining the GUI changes in modeling….