When it comes to data quality issues we are typically talking about master data entities including materials, products, customers, business partners and employees. This is the core information that of which your business processes revolve around and you store transactional and historical information about. Problems start with incorrect information about these entities such as invalid contact information for your customers or partners, improper addresses, identification numbers, improper ship to or bill to information, improper material or product attributes, etc. The problems progress further if duplicates enter the system because of the inaccurate information and transactions are entered against these entities and possibly their duplicates. Then it becomes difficult to identify the correct entity to enter new information against and find information like how many customers do we have, which product the customer own, which products come which suppliers, and your problems will continue to grow.
Common business problems experienced when data quality practices are not used include:
- Difficult to determine the right recipients for marketing campaigns
- Costs for marketing campaigns are high due to account duplications, while response rates are low
- Potential customers are annoyed by redundant mail, e-mails and phone calls, potentially for products they do not own
- Customers don’t receive important document or information that requires action on their part
- Inaccurate order information causes delayed or lost shipments and lower customer satisfaction
- Sales representatives are not able to identify relevant accounts
- Reporting uses wrong data and this leads to wrong conclusions
Put into place a data quality firewall using SAP Data Services or Data Quality Management for SAP at the point of entry, e.g. transactional systems or systems of record, to prevent problems upfront. Data Services incorporates complete data quality capabilities within the ETL process including data cleansing and validation as well as data matching and consolidation to build a 360 degree view of your data for any master data initiative. So no matter where your data needs to go, e.g. another database or application, a data warehouse, or how you data gets there, e.g. batch upload, real-time data entry via a custom web application or your SAP CRM or ERP system, you can ensure you have trusted information.
Reduce the costs and impact associated with incorrect and duplicate data as it travels downstream through your system, including the costs associated to correct the situation by identifying and updating trouble records.
- Data Quality Firewall - Ensuring Data Quality at its Source (recording)
- Data Quality Blueprints
- Data Services Tips and Tricks
- Data Integration and Quality Management Forum
- SAP Community Network: Data Integration and Quality Management