What is Enterprise Content Management (ECM)?
'Enterprise Content Management (ECM) is the strategies, methods and tools used to capture, manage, store, preserve, and deliver content and documents related to organizational processes. ECM tools and strategies allow the management of an organization's unstructured information, wherever that information exists.' (Definintion by AIIM.org) As such ECM covers a wide area of technlogies and use cases.
What are the main benefits for implementing ECM solutions?
Implementing ECM solutions
- enable businesses to be compliant to legal requirements in areas like information retention handling and process documentation
- raise the productivity of the workforce in businesses by providing information to users where it is needed; i.e. displaying all documents/corespondence related to a customer in a call center solution
- lead to cost savings with short term Retrun On Investement
What is SAP's offering in the ECM market?
SAP take a wholistic view on solutions supported by ECM technologies. We are not only providing the ECM part of a solution, but support complete end to end business processes and applications integrating structured as well of unstructured content. SAP is offering integrated Enterprise Content Management On Device, On Premise and On Demand as depicted in the picture below.
SAP's offering in the area of ECM is focussed on seamless integration in business processes and user expierences.
SAP's offering with the greates breadth concering ECM functionality is the product family of resold Open Text products branded SAP .... by Open Text mainly focusing on the On Demand area. Information on the products resold by Open Text can be found on www.sap.com:
Within it's PLM offering SAP delivers integrated Document Managmenent functionality which supports SAP's outstanding solution in this space. More information on PLM Document Management you find here:
The use cases in this wiki will give you detailed information on how to leverage the Integrated Enterprise Content Management offering by SAP. Some of these uses case will explain how SAP's ECM offering is interlinked with SAP's overall Enterprise Information Management portfolio.
- Management of Employee Files
- Customer files
- Enterprise Content Management extension for SAP Project Management