End User Perspective
Imaging your are an engineer working on a project. Your are not interessted in all the cost related information of this project on a day to day basis, but the document related side of the project you will access in your day to day work, collaboration with colleagues on tricky problems to solve. For you it would be easy to access the project documentation and all related documents via your Windows Explorer or even you Mail Client.
Or imaging your are working in the legal department of this company. A customer is suing the company because of damages caused by a product your company manufactured in an engineering project. You could easily find all the relevant information (documents and data) on the product and the project documentation in the which the product was produced, showing that your company is not responsible for the issue.
SAP Project Management is used to manage complex types of projects supporting all aspects of project management like cost management and deep integration into the SAP ERP System while advanced document management and document collaboration is only partly supported. The issues which arise are
- Fragmented project documentation siloed in multiple applications
- Users don’t always have permissions to content because its in other application
- Lack of a consistent document and folder structure
- Difficulty finding relevant documents or knowledge of similar projects
- Content can’t be shared between project members
- No mechanism to collaborate and associate it to the project
- Email is often used as the only collaboration tool
- Disconnect of SAP project data and project content
- Secure and long term storage of project deliverables
- Difficulty responding to litigation efficiently and effectively
- Serious business consequences for non-compliance to regulations
- No mechanism for managing the movement of physical records within the organization
- Enormous costs associated with an explosion of unmanaged, unstructured content
- Inability to have a centralized archive
- Inability to discover critical business content across multiple and disparate system
- Inability to access and act on critical business content across multiple and disparate systems
- Difficulty deleting content from one application with audit trail
Implementing SAP extended ECM by Open Text to enable to support controller and engeneering view on projects.
- The solution is productized and validated by SAP
- Content is surfaced in the context of the SAP business process
- An integrated dashboard is made available for project workers and project managers thus providing a consistent delivery mechanism.
- Integration of structured and unstructured data ensures traceable and transparent documentation of project
- Holistic view into the project from either the SAP UI or the ECM UI.
- Content can be easily filed and found with relevance back to the project.
- Tight integration between MS office and SAP Modules PS, SD
- Provides the ability to leverage information and documents from past projects
- ECM interface is a fully web based application
- Manages all forms of corporate content in the context of the business process
- Operating costs were reduced
- Provides collaborative workspace for team members
- Holistic view of all collaborative communications on content on projects
- Manages physical and electronic in one repository
- Allows unstructured content to be governed by corporate records management program
- Ability to leverage SAP metadata to drive automatic classification and retention schedules
- DoD 5015.2 certification paired with SAP
- RM is transparent to end-users
- Ability to institute an enterprise records management program to include SAP content
- Disposition is managed centrally
- Helps to mitigate risk and prepare for legal discovery