What resources are crucial for your success? What should you do to avoid the "Gotchas"? Please read:
The Product Availability Matrix (PAM)
The PAM lists:
- Supported platforms and third party software (OS, DBs, etc) that the product (a specific version and service pack level of the product) has been tested with and that are officially supported for use with this product version. If you are not on a supported version and you run into issues, SAP Product Support will ask you to reproduce the issue on a supported version.
No support is provided for unsupported versions.
- Minimum hardware requirements
- Dates of release and maintenance end (support packs and fixes come out only for products still under maintenance).
Note: In order to have access to all the info in the Data Services PAM be sure to click on the Open in new window link, in the Essential Information section.
To access the PAM for SAP Data Services 4.2 go here.
To access PAM for the Business Intelligence Platform 4.1 go here.
To access the PAM for other SAP Software go here.
Note: SAP HANA version compatibility with SAP Data Services is listed in the following KBA that is regularly updated:
Product Release Notes
Product Release Notes are written and released for each new major release, service pack or patch.
They list: new or deprecated features, fixed issues, known issues, compatibility, and limitations.
Release Notes for service packs (contain new features as well as fixes) are available at http://help.sap.com/bods.
Release Notes for patches (contain only fixes) are published as Knowledgebase articles (KBAs).
Log on to the SAP Support Portal to search and view KBAs.
The Compatibility Matrix between the Business Intelligence Platform (BIP) and SAP Data Services
Pre-requisite for installing SAP Data Services is to install a compatible version of the Business Intelligence Platform.
The following KBA lists compatible versions:
If a newer BI version is not listed on this matrix it means it has not been tested yet and potentially might not be compatible.
SAP recommends using SAP Information Platform Services rather then your existing Business Intelligence deployment to avoid compatibility issues and make patching your BI environment easier.
Planning for SAP Data Services and SAP Information Steward Installation.
If you are planning a single machine deployment or a distributed deployment watch this very important video to understand implications, requirements and order of install/upgrade for different components.
You can also reference this KBA: 1603393 1603393 - Installation Scenarios - Data Services 4.x
5) Install and Upgrade Guides
Do not attempt an install or upgrade before reading the Install or Upgrade Guides and making sure you have set up all the requirements.
The guides are available at http://help.sap.com/bods
For upgrading and migrating Information Platform Services content please follow KBA:
1906581 - Migration of Information Steward from a Business Intelligence platform to an Information platform services landscape
Common Pitfalls and Best Practices
- Always install the latest and greatest version and patch level.
- When installing Information Platform Services do not run setup.exe but run InstallIPS.exe (or *.sh) as this will use the built-in license key.
- Make sure your version SAP Data ServicesDS is compatible with BI/IPS.
- Clustering of Business Intelligence and Information Platform Services is not supported in any fashion: •Clustering CMS of IPS with CMS of BI is not supported.•Pointing IPS (processing servers only) to CMS of BI is not supported.•Clustering CMS of IPS with CMS of another IPS is supported.
- All BI/IPS components need to be of same version and SP level (i.e. Node 1 and Node 2 can’t be on different SP levels)
- Installing DS Web Tier on machine where CMC is not installed is not supported.
- Copying DataServices.war file rather then running the DS installer is not supported.
- Data Services and Information Steward need to be on same version and SP level.
- DS Management Console is not supported on ‘split’ configurations (i.e. ISS as Web Server and Tomcat as JAVA app server).
- SSL Keys need to be copied if Access Server and Job Server are not on the same machine. 1694761 - HANDSHAKE_FAILURE. (BODI-300001)
- Consider your geographic location and impact of network latency – use Citrix for remote Designers.
- Do not try to install DS on second machine before having installed DS CMS components on IPS machine.
- Make sure the locale is set to UTF-8
- Make sure you have Administrator rights on your OS.
- Make sure you have Administrator rights on BI/IPS.
- Use Enterprise Authentication during DS install.
- Do not use the same DB schema for DS and IPS repository (and IS). This is not supported.
- Install DS on Windows cluster only works in distributed install scenario. NOTE: BI/IPS does not support Windows cluster.
Upgrade Best Practices
- Back up configuration files and repositories.
- Ensure IPS has been upgraded first, then upgrade DS.
- If IPS is on separate machine, first run DS upgrade on the IPS machine to upgrade DS CMS objects, then run upgrade on the DS machine.
- If you are on a version prior to DS 4.x you will need to uninstall Data Services before you install the latest version.
- If the hostname of the DS Jobserver will be changing as part of your upgrade, make sure to log into the DS Server Manager and disassociate the DS repository from the Jobserver PRIOR to your upgrade.
- Reference Best Practices for upgrading older Data Integrator or Data Services repositories to the latest version of Data Services 4.2 for IMPORTANT information on repository upgrade.
- If after upgrade there are issues with either the CMC or the DS Management Console, use the wdeploy utility (see DS Administrator's Guide) to undeployall and deployall.
- Check install/upgrade log that’s located in:
a. If the install is completing: <Install Directory>/InstallData/logs/date and time of install/setupengine.log
b. If install is not completing:
In Windows - C:\Users\user you arel ogged in as\AppData\Local\Temp\2\date and time of install\setupengine.log
In UNIX/Linux - /temp/date and time of install/setupengine.log