Running standard business applications can generate large volumes of data, often leading to reduced system performance and greater demand on resources. Once an application has been live for several years, only a small percentage of the data is still used in daily operations. Therefore, data from business-complete processes should be removed from the database. However, simply deleting this data is often not an option, as read access to individual data objects may still be required. For this reason, the data must be relocated from the database in such a way that it can still be accessed when the need arises.
With SAP data archiving, a core component of SAP NetWeaver ILM, you can reduce the size of your database and keep it manageable in the long term. By regularly archiving business-complete data, you can control the data growth of your SAP applications. Across all SAP Business Suite applications, such as SAP ERP, SAP CRM, SAP SCM etc., more than 800 archiving objects are ready for use.
Technically speaking, SAP data archiving moves business-complete data from the database to the archive, from where it can be retrieved at any time. SAP data archiving gives you everything you need to control data growth while ensuring that the data you archive is stored safely and remains readily accessible to you. Here is what the basic data archiving process looks like:
- Reduced size and growth of data volumes
- Faster and easier upgrade to higher software releases. Shorter runtime for backup and recovery.
- Shorter response times in dialog mode for all employees.
- Reduced hardware costs for disk, CPU, memory as well as administration costs.
- Introduction to SAP Data Archiving (presentation)
- Archiving Your SAP Data (book)
- When old data affects performance. And when not (blog)
- Data Management Guide