The purpose of this article is to explain the basic customizing steps of creating a Chart of Accounts.
This is a list of all G/L accounts used by one or several company codes. For each G/L account, the chart of accounts contains the account number, account name, and the information that controls how an account functions and how a G/L account is created in a company code.
You have to assign a chart of accounts to each company code. This chart of accounts is the operating chart of accounts and is used for the daily postings in this company code.
You have the following options when using multiple company codes:
- You can use the same chart of accounts for all company codes
If the company codes all have the same requirements for the chart of accounts set up, assign all of the individual company codes to the same chart of accounts. This could be the case if all company codes are in the same country.
- In addition to the operating chart of accounts, you can use two additional charts of accounts
If the individual company codes need different charts of accounts, you can assign up to two charts of accounts in addition to the operating chart of accounts. This could be the case if company codes lie in multiple countries.
The use of different charts of accounts has no effect on the balance sheet and profit and loss statement. When creating the balance sheet or the profit and loss statement, you can choose whether to balance the company codes which use different charts of accounts together or separately.
Enter Transaction code SPRO in the command field
In next screen-”Display IMG” navigate the following menu path : SAP Customizing Implementation Guide -> Financial Accounting -> General Ledger Accounting -> G/L Accounts -> Master Data -> Preparations -> Edit Chart of Accounts List
In the next screen, select New Entries
In the next screen,Enter Following Data :
- Enter a unique Chart of Accounts Code , maximum length is four
- Enter a Description for the Chart of Accounts
- Enter Language in which the Chart of Accounts is created.All accounts have a description in this language.Master Data can only be displayed or maintained in this language
- Enter the maximum length for G/L Accounts number, it could be maximum to ten digits if number is short then it will prefix zero before it to make it to the maximum length
- Enter the type of integration between G/L accounts and cost elements
- Enter Chart of Accounts which is used in the corporate group
Use this structure to help you compose your contributions for WIKI and at the same time will ensure spelling and grammar.