The purpose of this WIKI is to explain a system limitation which does not allow you to have more than 999 line items per FI document, and also provide you with workarounds you can use to post your document.
When you are posting an FI document which has more than 999 line items, the system will issue an error message. This is due to the fact that the line item number field (BUZEI) in the BSEG table consists of 3 characters only and therefore the system cannot read more than 999 line items in the FI document. There are some workarounds which can be done so that your document will be successfully posted in the system.
Well, if for postings with FI posting transactions like FB01, FB60, FB70, FB50, FB05, F-30, FBZ1, F-28, FBZ2, F-53, FB1S, F-03 etc. the maximum number of 999 line items in an FI document is exceeded, error F5 734 is raised. If for postings via the accounting interface (is processed for postings from other modules like from module MM, SD, etc., for postings via accounting BAPIs, Direct Input, IDOC) the maximum number of 999 line items in an FI document is exceeded, a different error F5 727 is raised, but conveys a similar meaning. Another error F5 807 is raised if for postings via the accounting interface (is processed for postings from other modules like from module MM, SD,etc., for postings via accounting BAPIs, Direct Input, IDOC) the maximum number of 999 entries for an FI document in VAT tax database table BSET is exceeded. For postings with FI posting transactions like FB01, FB60, FB70, FB50, FB05, F-30, FBZ1, F-28, FBZ2, F-53, FB1S, F-03 etc. an automatic split is NOT available so far, and most probably will not be available in future either.
The FI document has more than 999 lines, the system issues error F5 807 ("Number of items in document is too large") or F5 727 ("Maximum number of items in FI reached"), and posting is not possible.
There are no immediate plans to expand the number of line items beyond the current limit (999 lines per document). This is because the line item number (BSEG-BUZEI) field length is defined as 3 numeric positions (leading to a maximum possible number of 999 line items). The SAP development group is aware of this functionality change request, but the change is significant since BSEG is a cluster table which is used in numerous R/3 programs.
Some common transactions where you may experience this issue are: VF01, VF02, VF04, MB01, MB11, MR1M, CO15, MIGO, MB01, MB1A, MB1C, MBST, VL01N, VL02N, VL09
The limitation is still valid, because in ACDOCA, the line item number can have more than 1000 (ACDOCA has provisions for 6 digit line item numbers) but BSEG is still update from all classical FI posting. So you cannot input more than 999 items.
Please read the KBA:
2344521 - F5 727- after migration Simple Finance or S/4 HANA
There are three ways to resolve the 999:
1) Summarization - as per note 36353.Please be aware that Summarization is only possible for transactions which post via the FI/CO interface. A summarization within Financial Accounting (for example, FB01) does not occur. This is as per SAP Note 166487.
2) Split the document - Cancel the original document and split it into smaller documents using different payment terms but actually with the same terms.
3) Split - Note 103334 will force a delivery split in collective processing if the source order exceeds the item number limit.• Goods Movement: Note 1353827• Incomming invoices (MM): Notes 1353125 and 1497092• Outgoing invoices (SD/CRM): Note 1670486• Vendor invoices: Note 1588529
Below you can find some other important notes:
- 2078335 - FAQ: Error F5 727 when posting via Accounting Interface
- 1497092 - AC interface: Posting split in FI for incoming invoices
- 1675235 - Error message F5727 "Maximum number of items in FI reached" when release SD billing document to accounting
- 1801529 -Error message F5727 "Maximum number of items in FI reached" when release MM doc
SAP NOTE 36353*: *AC interface: Summarizing FI documents
SAP NOTE 103334: Error F5 807 in GI - split deliveries that are too large
SAP NOTE 1353827: AC interface: Document split in FI for goods movements
SAP Note 166487 : TABLE_INVALID_INDEX in FI/CO interface