This is a checklist with the most common issues in upgrade projects.
In this document, I will focus in the international payroll
- Release notes: An upgrade is not just about migrating the old release existing functionalities to the new release. This would be the technical upgrade, but you have to check whether newly developed functionalities for the new release can replace custom developments or just benefit from the new ones.
- You can check the release notes at the new system:
You can check the new features at the marketplace:
- Adjustment of HR Tables using transaction SPAU.
If there are some changes to the standard settings in payroll relevant tables such us T511K or T511P, you should adjust those table entries using transaction SPAU, otherwise the settings are back to the standard which may affect payroll results. You may discover those changes during the payroll parallels, but it’s much better to do it beforehand.
Execute transaction SPAU by checking all the check box.
Click on without modification assistant and expand the tree:
You can use transaction SCU0 to compare tables individually or a whole package to check which standard settings were reset in the new release.
See also info in note 395586 “HR objects in Modification adjustment (SPAU)”.
- Move customer payroll functions and operations from RPCBURZ0 to country include PCBURZ*0 (* Country ISO code). This should have already been done in release 4.6 but still many customers are using the old RPCBURZ0 in the newest released. For example, see note 192551 “PE04: Referring to new Includes PCBURZxx0”.
- Program RPCSC000 still used for payroll processes parallelization. Program RPCSC000 is still used by some customers for Payroll PNP based reports in order to split and parallelize the payroll execution, however RPCSC000 is no longer maintained by SAP. In that case you should consider using in the future the Process Model to run payroll and subsequent activities (Transactions PEST / PUST).
- Is your system up to date concerning support packages?.
This is very important, the new release system should have a HR SP system that is equivalent to the old system, otherwise your payroll parallels may fail and even you could lose data in case, for example an infotype has new fields in the old version and the HR SP where those new fields are delivered is not yet implemented. The same applies to SAP Notes.
- Modified technical or SAP Wage Types.
If you modified technical /XXX or SAP Model Wage Types or you defined your Wage Types in the SAP Namespace you may lose those modifications. Solution: Make a backup of table T512W. You will find more info in note 310790 “T512W backup&restore procedure on Upgrade&HR SP”.
- Report variants are lost in the new upgraded system:
Program RSVARDOC_610 has to be run in order to reconstruct the variants.
There is more info in note 153865.
- Performance issues with report RPCIPE00 (Upgrade from release < 6.0).
New RPCIPE00 as of release 6.0 has known performance issues. It's recommended to switch to new report RPCIPE01.
You'll find more info in our F&Q note 1039346
- Adjustment of customer programs that where created base on standard.
After an analisys, the decision is to keep the customer owned program in the new version as
the new version does not fully cover the requirements.
Those kind of programs have to be tested thouroughly. The reason is that the original program
on which they were based may have changed and evolved, while the Z* program did not evolve.
This may cause even syntax errors, even more if in the customer program you mix customer code
with some other standard includes.
Sometimes it's better to rebuild the entire program. If the customer program differs only in
a few code lines it might be worth thinking in using the standard with a modification that
would be asjusted if necessary with transaction SPAU, or an enhancement spot.
- Customer-specific enhancements to PC2* structures
No append is provided for PC2* structures. e.g.PC207 (Payroll results), but if you were using such an append structure in your old system you can create a payroll table and move the data in the append to the new table. Then the append structure should be removed from the PC2* structure. The old payroll results must be converted for which a customer program should be created.
Check note 763880 for more information.
Check also the following wiki document (Issue 6):
- Content of tables with delivery class "E" was lost
Read the following kba 2416100 - Missing customizing in tables T185* and BALOBJ after upgrade
- ABAP Objects lost in the upgraded system
In an upgrade, standard ABAP objects are taken from the new release and not inherited from the legacy system.
Customer ABAP objects (According to TADIR ) are added to a Transport Request and transported to the upgraded system.
Therefore, If you have created application in SAP Namespace, they will not be available in the upgraded system