Capacity planning plays a pivotal role in production planning. Before we understand in detail about it , first we should know what exactly we mean by capacity .
Capacity : The ability of a work center to perform a task.
Now as this ability to perform the task is always limited we need to optimize the production to make the maximum use (economic use of resources) of the capacity to meet the production taeget.
Capacity planning comprises the following sub areas:
Capacity evaluation as the name suggests is used to analyse available capacity and capacity requirements and compared with each other in lists or graphics.
Capacity leveling involves the leveling of overloads & underloads at work center
To perform the Capacity Planning we must understand from where the Capacity Requirements are calculated. It includes the operation time (including the setup time , interpolation time , teardown time etc) maintained in routing . These time are used to calculate the capacity requirement with the help of formulae maintained to calculate the time.
In Capacity evaluation we can analyze the capacity load in detail with following option
- Standard Overview
- Detailed Capacity List
- Variable Overview
Standard overview shows data on the capacity situation at work centers predefined by SAP . Following information is displayed in standard overview
- Capacity requirements in the period
- Available capacity in the period
- Capacity load (capacity requirements/available capacity in percentage terms) in the period
- Free available capacity in the period
In Detailed Capacity List
A list the user can alter in which the capacity requirements for selected work centers are arranged according to the pegged requirements and displayed per period. For every capacity at the work centers you can display the following information in columns:
- For each order the capacity requirements per period
- Other data for the pegged requirements and the capacitiesVariable Overview is that in which user can format and in which capacity planning data is displayed per period. You can display the following information in columns:
- Capacity requirements in the period that are selected according to selection criteria laid down by the user
- Available capacities for the selected capacity requirements
- Values that are calculated from values in other columns, capacity requirements and constants
CM01 to CM07