This wiki page will discuss one of standard functionality available with SAP Sales and Distribution module known as Material Determination.
Material determination provides you with a tool for automatically exchanging materials in the sales document.
During festival season, for limited period on order you can offer different offer material instead of regular material. Even though end-user key in regular material. The system will automatically replace regular material into offer material.
SAP Easy Access
Path: Logistics - Sales and distribution - Master data - Products - Material Determination - Create
Path: IMG - Sales and Distribution - Basic Functions - Material Determination - Define substitution reasons
- The condition technique provides you with greater flexibility in material determination. When you process a document, the system automatically searches for valid master records that you created previously in material determination.
You can assign a substitution reason to every master record in material determination that defines how the material should be determined. You define the substitution rules in Customizing. Examples in the standard system include:
- You need a material master record for the material number that you are replacing.
- During order entry, the material ordered by the customer is replaced by the substitute defined in the master record. The system now continues processing with the substitute (for example, in the availability check, pricing, delivery, billing).
The item overview for Sales A contains information about the material that was originally entered as well as the reason for substitution.
Select Product Manually
- In some sectors of industry, the same products are sold in different packaging materials (for example, packaging for standard and promotion articles). Material master records exist in the system for managing these stocks. When you enter an order, you can use different material numbers for the same product.
We have extended the functions in manual and automatic product selection so that material determination can support this business practice:
Reason for Substitution
Manual production selection
(list of default values)
0004 / 0006
Automatic product selection
(depending on availability in sales order and delivery)
- In manual production selection, (reason for substitution 0005), the system does not automatically replace the product. Instead, it displays a list of all of the substitution materials and other information in the master record. You can then select the required material from this list.
- To simplify selection, the system displays the material quantities that can be confirmed on the customer's requested delivery date. If a material cannot be confirmed fully for the requested delivery date, the system displays the date on which the material can be completely delivered.
- Maintain the master records for material determination in the master data menu for Sales and Distribution under Products.
- You can use the condition technique to define the master data for material determination at any level. For example, you can create data records using the material number or a combination of the material and customer numbers.
- When you process master records, you can:
- Restrict the validity period of a record
- Maintain separate entries for each key combination
- Determine reasons for substitution
- Save one or more substitutes per master record
- If there is more than one material defined in the master record for material determination / product selection, the sequence in which they appear defines the priority that they have.
Automatic Product Selection
- In automatic product selection (reasons for substitution 0004 and 0006), the system replaces the entered material automatically if it is not available.
- If automatic product selection is being used, the system may display (based on customizing) the entered and substituted material as main and sub-items in the sales order.
- When you enter an order, the system tries to fill the quantity of the order with the first material in the material determination master record. If there is not enough of this material, it fills the remaining quantity with the next material.
- You can choose whether or not you want to re-run material determination when the delivery is created. If material determination is re-run, the result of the substitution may change due to the new availability situation.
- You can use the product attributes in the material and customer master records to exclude a particular material from product selection. This means, for example, that all the materials that have been rejected in the customer master will not be included by the system when it determines a substitution material.
- The Partial confirmation of product selection allows you to deal with shortfall cases (in which only the available quantity is confirmed, and it is less than the order quantity) by passing the shortfall quantity on to materials planning. In this case, an additional sub-item is generated with a specifically defined material.
Automatic Product Selection - Master Data
- The sequence of the substitution materials in the master data influences the result of the automatic product selection in the order.
If you want the material that is first entered in the order to be included in the substitution, then you must enter it in the substitutions list.
Case A :
The original material is in the first place in the list, and its available stock is included
in the substitution. The system then refers to the available stock for the next material in the master
Case B :
First, the system uses up the available stock for the materials that appear in the master record
before the material that has been entered. Only when these stocks have been used up, does it include
that material in the substitution.
Condition Technique in Material determination
- The condition technique provides more flexibility in modeling material determination and product selection.
- You can assign a material determination procedure to each sales document type. The procedure contains all of the Customizing information that the system needs for material determination. The procedure includes one or more defined condition types
- One access sequence (search strategy) is assigned to each condition type.
- Each access sequence consists of one or more accesses.
- Each access contains exactly one condition table. This represents the search key that the system uses to search for a valid master record.
- You can activate an analysis of the material determination in the sales document. The system then displays detailed information on how the materials were determined.
Steps in Configuration & Condition Record
Condition tables & field maintenance.
Condition tables are maintained in desired sequence of execution
Assign access sequence to Condition Type for material
Maintain Material Determination Procedure.
Assign Sales Document Type to material determination
Define Substitution Reasons – we can define whether
Condition Records for material determination – Maintain