The purpose of this page is to explain the concept of down payments in Purchasing and Logistics Invoice Verification areas.
This document states the business purpose of down payments in Purchasing and Logistics Invoice Verification areas, and an example case of setting up and running one cycle.
What is Down Payment?
As the name indicates, down payment is the initial upfront portion of the total amount due. This payment is made during the onset of the purchase of an expensive good/service.
In order to work with down payment, the switch MM_SFWS_CI_01 (business function LOG_MMFI_P2P) should be active. This is available with SAP Enhancement Package 4 for SAP ERP 6.0.
Down Payment Clearing
Down payments can be recorded in purchase orders and during Invoice Verification. The down payment clearing function clears the down payments that have not been cleared in FI. The system posts a down payment clearing document along with an invoice document.
Down payment data can be recorded at both header level and item level of the purchase order document. This data is copied to the financial accounting as default values, and can also be changed depending on the need.
Note that if payment is added at header level, header data cannot be distributed to line item data.
This is due to the fact that the down payment on header level is not split onto the item level, it is retained at header level as a payment on the whole PO.
Header level in the purchase order:
Item level in the purchase order:
Technical field names:
DPTYP: Down payment Indicator
DPAMT: Down Payment Amount
DPPCT: Down payment percentage
DPDAT: Down payment Due date
Tables on purchasing: EKKO and EKPO.
Example of a complete down payment cycle
1. Create a purchase order with down payment data at item level (transaction ME21N):
You can use the Business Add-In Enhancement for processing the purchase order (ME_PROCESS_PO_CUST), to define the purchase order value as of which down payments are mandatory.
2. Check the down payment monitor via transaction ME2DP. Observe the red indicator suggesting down payment does not exist. This turns to green when a down payment request or down payment is created:
We can create down payments through this monitor. The below path takes you to the transaction FPDP_CREATE:
3. Create down payment request:
System adopts the down payment amount and due date from the purchase order, but this can be modified if necessary:
Fill the header data, overview data, and choose Save button:
4. Check the purchase order history, because the down payment request gets updated there (following the EKBE table results):
5. Create a down payment via ME2DP transaction:
6. Check the purchase order history (transaction ME23N):
7. Down payment clearing in transaction MIRO:
The DP clearing can be performed during the invoice verification process only when the message M8318 is activated to be issued in the system. This message can be controlled via the customer BAdI MRM_DOWNPAYMENT.
8. Choose the Down Payment Clearing button:
9. The next screen shows the down payment document number against which settlement will take place:
10. Enter the down payment amount that needs to be cleared:
11. When posting the invoice, down payment clearing document is posted as well.
12. Display the invoice to see two accounting documents:
- The DP clearing can only be performed during the invoice verification dialogue process.
- The DP clearing can be performed only when the message M8318 is activated to be issued in the system. This message can be controlled via the customer BAdI MRM_DOWNPAYMENT.
- Only those Down Payments can be cleared that have the same company code and the same invoicing party as the invoice.
- The DP clearing cannot be used together with the prepayment functionality.
- The DP clearing cannot be used together with TM reference.
- The DP clearing cannot be used together with planned delivery costs. The DP clearing can be used together with install payment and amount split since Note 1749187 (see restrictions in this note).
Important function groups
Function Group MRM_DPC
Function group MRM_DPC is used for the DP clearing handling. It contains function module MRM_DPC_FACTORY as well as local class LCL_MRM_DPC_FACTORY.
Function Group MRMC
Using the reference object of the interface IF_MRM_DPC the attribute MT_RBDPC is checked. RBDPC is a new table for Invoice Verification: Down Payment Clearing.
Function Group MR1M
Class LCL_MRM_DPC_DIALOG Method SET_DPC_LIGHT (Set button text for DPC button)
cs_dpc_dyn-icon_text = text-115.
c_dpc_visible = abap_true.
Check the 1.Entries in mt_rbdpc - no entries no down payments.
2.Invoice Types batch and EDI is not support for DP functionality.
3.DPC is not used with Prepayment functionality.
Form T_DRSEG_AUFBAUEN_PRUEFEN_1/Include LMRMDF0H.
Note: there is an Automatic Down Payment Clearing in Logistics for PSM customers, but this is different from the process explained here. For details about this read Note 1279351 - Automatic Clearing of Down Payments/Down Payment Requests.
KBA 2121740 - Restrictions for Down Payment Clearing when working with MM invoices
KBA 1855067 - ME2DP - Down Payment at header level is not adopted for PO items