This WIKI page intends to provide information about standard process of HU (Handling Unit) creation in case the location is a HU managed one.
This WIKI page shows step by step information of the instructions for one of the HU02 functionality which performs the packing identification storing a certain quantity of a certain material as an example for HU managed location. It has screenshot used in this example as well as hyperlinks to other forms of HU creation.
HU creation summary
In this case the HU is created in ERP logistics directly in case where the packing occurs before the delivery takes place, in this case it occurs on a HU managed storage location hence the inventory of the HU is taken place in MM-IV-GF (storage location inventory level). It can be done with only one transaction and it is required to have pre-settings like material package created and storage location set as HUM and its partner location pre-defined.
The example below looks like very similar to the one for non HUM storage location. The difference is to fill the partner storage location into storage location field and then fill the HUM storage location into destination storage location field. Then a 311 material movement is performed when it is saved.
Go to transaction HU02:
- Go to tab “Pack material”;
- Enter packaging material on the top section of the screen under the column “Packaging Materials”;
- Press enter and a HU number is automatically generated and can be seen under the “Handling Unit” column;
- On the lower section of the screen, enter the material to be packed, the quantity to be packed, the plant and the storage location. Here is the difference from non-HUM storage location, the storage location MUST BE the partner of HUM one;
- Enter the HUM storage location into Destination Storage Location field;
- To pack the material onto the HU, select the material in the lower section of the screen, select the HU just created in the top section of the screen and click on the pack button (as indicated in the screenshot below);
- Click the <save> button and the HU have been created. Notice that a material document is also created.
SAP Help: Handling Unit
One of the most reported issues involved HU occurs when more than material posting need to get reversed and it involves HUs, check below a KBA information on the resolution steps about the restriction.
SAP Note 1534664 - HU restrictions when reversing movement for STO deliveries
SAP Note 539525 - Activating HUM in the production system