You have issues in source determination.
I) First check active / called enhancements which might influence your system's source determination logic. These enhancement can be:
Please deactivate them and test the scenario again.
II.) Please also make sure, according to note 1803189, that you use a non-outdated transaction.
III.) Because of the fact that during a source determination in Purchasing, many other checks are carried out (the vendor must not be deleted, an info record must exist, and so on), a source of supply may be assigned to a Purchase Requisition (PR) during the MRP run; however, a different source of supply may be assigned when you create a PR manually.
The source determination in purchasing and the source determination in MRP are very different in terms of the diversity of their checks and therefore cannot be directly compared to each other.
The below listed problems do not include system errors, in case you observe incorrect system behavior (such as bugs, unexplainable behavior, dumps) another possible source of the problem could be a missing correction note from the system, so please look for correction notes with corresponding keywords and with the release level of your ERP System.
According to your business scenario follow the below points:
Source determination issues in ME51N
To have the “Source Determination” checkbox always initially ticked by calling ME51N transaction you need to set it under Personal Settings or in parameter EVO (default values for buyers).
- 1.1 Normal item, NOT Stock Transfer Order (STO)
Firstly please check whether your observation is discussed in note 457110 - FAQ: Source determination in purchasing:
- Why does the system propose a contract twice (several times) with different purchasing organizations as possible sources of supply?
- When you use transaction ME51N to create a purchase requisition (PR), the system does not determine a source of supply even though the "Source Determination" indicator is set.
- Why does the system propose an info record as a possible source of supply even though the requirement quantity is lower than the first scale value of a base scale?
- The runtime of the source determination (for material groups, for example) is very poor. How can this be improved?
- An entry in the source list is blocked. Why does the system also issue error message 06 723, "Source of supply blocked (according to source list)", when you change a purchase order?
- A PR contains a desired vendor. Why is this not taken into account during the source determination?
- Why does the system propose an info record with several units of measure in the dialog box of the possible sources of supply?
- One contract and one or several info records exist as possible sources of supply. Why is the contract still assigned automatically?
- Why is specific data from the source of supply not transferred to the purchase requisition?
- Why does the system not take into account a contract that is valid for the delivery date but is not valid for the current date during the source determination?
- Why does the source determination during the MRP run behave differently to the source determination in purchasing?
- When you create a purchase order with reference to a contract, why does the system not issue error message 06 722 ("Source not included in list despite source list requirement") even though there is a source list requirement for the material, but the contract is not included in the source list?
- Why can you assign a PR for which the indicator for a subcontracting vendor is set or a PR with receiving vendors to a contract in which this data is not maintained, but you cannot do the same in reverse?
- You want to assign a source of supply to a PR with material. One or several info records and several material group contracts exist. You do not know how the system selects the possible sources of supply.
- The source determination uses the source list to determine the source of supply. The relevant source list entry contains a supplying plant. An info record exists.
- Why does the source determination not determine the info record?
- Are deleted info records taken into account during the source determination?
-> You can find the answers for these questions in note 457110
- 1.1.1. Not the expected source determined
(If no source is assigned to the Purchase Requisition, go to point 1.1.2.)
- A contract that is valid for the delivery date but not valid for the current date is ignored during the source determination:
See the explanation and solution in note 44368 - Contract as source of supply
- The system looks for a valid source list entry, using the requisition delivery date (EBAN-LFDAT), and comparing with the validity on the source list entry. Later the system reads the contract header to get the validity of the agreement. If the assignment date does not fall within the validity, it will not be automatically assigned (in case of ticked “source determination” checkbox) nor proposed in case of manual processing.
- Please consider the priority order of the source's types in case of manual PR with "source determination" indicator being checked (see also this wiki):
PERFORM mpn_check. - to find MPN information in case of MPN material
PERFORM quotierung. - Quota Arrangement
PERFORM orderbuch. - Source List
PERFORM pstyp. - (N/A)
PERFORM leistungs_liefaranten. - Service vendor, only for service
PERFORM vertraege. - Outline Agreement (central contract also, but in case of CC, no difference, as the system use the corresponding ECC contract of CC)
PERFORM infosaetze. - Info Record
PERFORM umlagerungswerke. - Plants for Stock Transfer
PERFORM vertraege_ohne_material.- Outline Agreements without Material
PERFORM regellieferant. - Regular vendor = a vendor that is a source of supply of a material at client level. That is to say, this vendor supplies an entire corporate group.
PERFORM vertragsreferenz. - Reference to an outline agreement
PERFORM sourcing_via_atp. - Set Up Determination of Supplying Plant via Availability Check option need to be mainted (OLME-source det.)
Check if you have any other settings made what may influence sourcing, like:
- Regular vendor - If, in the source determination process, several vendors are found, and one of which is flagged as the regular vendor, this vendor will be suggested. The others will not appear.
- A contract in which a subcontracting vendor is entered as a delivery address cannot be assigned as a source of supply:
You must also set the subcontracting vendor indicator in the purchase requisition AND you must enter the same vendor that is entered in the contract.
- Why could a Contract with no valid conditions proposed as a valid source of supply on ME51N?
Check note 2002118 - Contract with no valid conditions is being proposed as a valid source of supply on ME51N
In case of Service item category also take into account the settings in ML91 transaction.
- Press “Assign source of supply” button in order to see the found but not assigned sources. This will trigger source of supply function module ME_SEARCH_SOURCE_OF_SUPPLY.
- The system looks for a valid source list entry, using the requisition delivery date (EBAN-LFDAT), and comparing with the validity on the source list entry. Then if this is met, and the entry is for an agreement, later the system reads the contract header to get the validity of the agreement. If the assignment date does not fall within the validity, it will not be assigned.
- Error message 06 553 (Not possible to assign a source of supply) raised in transaction ME51N
see note 1528127 - Error 06 553: "Not possible to assign a source of supply" in transaction ME51N
- Error message ME 581 (SC vendor in PReq and outline agreement different) or 06 763 (Please use SC vendor indicator only in connection with vendors) occurs
see note 857367 – ME 581 SC vendor in PReq and outline agreement different
- ONE OF THE MAIN REASON WHY NO SOURCE MIGHT APPEAR IS THAT THE SOURCE WHAT YOU EXPECT NOT APPROVED, SO FOR EXAMPLE YOU HAVE A CONTRACT AS POTENTIAL SOURCE BUT THE CONTRACT'S RELEASE STRATEGY IS NOT APPROVED FULLY.
See note 601983 about source determination for 3rd party/individual purchase order.
- 1.2. Stock Transfer Order (STO)
- If you set source list checkbox in material master, when creating a PR or even a PO, the system will always require a vendor ("supplier plant" in case of STO) which is listed on the source list (within a contract for example).
06 722 error will be raised always when you do not use the vendor (from that contract) / supplier plant (in case of STO) which is listed in the source list. You can only overcome this error message if you fill in a source from the source list. So external procurement will not be possible without entering a source (a supplying plant for example) from the source list because of the error message even if the process is a stock-transfer-order.
- Price for intercompany vendor is not displayed when assigning source of list in Purchase Requisition:
See note 2002279 - Price for intercompany vendor is not displayed when assigning source of list in Purchase Requisition
For cross company code stock transfers, an info record is generally not prerequisite for the source determination, so the info record and price is not determined if NORD-RESWK field is not blank. The logic was applied by note 208138.
MRP – Automatic source assigning
- 2.1. Not the expected source is determined
(If no source is assigned to the Purchase Requisition with MRP run, go to point 2.2.)
- The determination priority order of the source in case of MRP created PR is:
- source list
No other source could be used by MRP (you need to maintain them on the source list)
So only Quota Arrangement and Source list are considered for Automatic Source Determination originating in SD, PP and PS. There must be only one possible Source of Supply or no Source is determined as the system cannot differentiate several entries on a Source List. If no unique entry is found then Source Determination fails. A unique entry is either a single entry in the source List or a record set as the Fixed Source of Supply in ME01 (RM06N-FESKZ).
- Why MRP does not consider the quota arrangement?
Customizing problem, see details in note 1508647 - MRP does not consider the quota arrangement
- The system always uses the requirements date to check the validity of the source list record. After implementation of note 186723, the system takes the goods receipt processing time (WEBAZ) into account in this process.
- Why does the system not use the expected planned delivery time from the info record?
To use the planned delivery time from the info record, you must set the flag 'Scheduling according to purchasing info record or agreement' in Customizing (Plant or MRP group). There must be a source list entry that is relevant for the materials planning and that refers to a source of supply with this info record. The relevant special procurement keys must agree for the source list entry to be taken into account in the first place and for the info record for the source list entry to be read (see note 206684). As of Release 4.5A, the system also transfers a planned delivery time 0 from the info record to the procurement proposal. This is because it is assumed that the planned delivery time is deliberately maintained this way because of the business circumstances (refer to note 354310). The goods receipt processing time from the agreement is also taken into account, in the same way as the planned delivery time, if the flag "Scheduling according to purchasing info record or agreement" is set in Customizing. In this case, a goods receipt processing time of 0 days is also transferred from the agreement. A goods receipt processing time > 0 in the material master does not override the Customizing setting. Using the BAdI method md_modify_source~modify_source_of_supply, you can choose to override the planned delivery time and goods receipt processing time individually.
- Case of Third-party subcontracting scenario:
See note 1967840 point 2: - If the flag "SC Vendor" is checked on the scheduling agreement, this source list entry will only be considered on a third-party order processing scenario with MRP areas. If you are not using MRP areas, this source list entry will not be considered and the vendor/schedule agreement will not be selected. This setting can be found on transaction ME32, on the menu path "ITEM" - "MORE FUNCTIONS" - "DELIVERY ADDRESS". See note 214298 for more details.
- There is no such functionality in standard system to check for the availability in supplying plant, and if not procure from an External Vendor in case of STO MRP generation.
- 2.2. No source assigned to the Purchase Requisition
- The source list should have only one unique MRP relevant (MRP indicator set to '1' or '2') line. If you have several valid source list entries that are relevant for the MRP, you cannot forecast which one of these entries will be chosen, for example, it is not always the first entry in the source list!
- From the source's document type (for example contract) only one must exists in the source list.
- Fix checkbox of source list is not relevant in case of MRP source assigning.
- Make sure you store the source in the source list after you have updated it, and after you have updated the material master with special procurement key. The respective special procurement type for a source of supply cannot directly be maintained in the source list. Instead, the special procurement types from outline agreements that are entered in the source list are copied. If you maintain only one vendor, the special procurement type in the source list is always initial.
- 2.3. An example for what is needed to automatically determine a contract as source by MRP (optional)
- The company code and the purchasing organization must be filled in the outline agreement.
- You must not have an active Quota arrangement for that material if you want source list to be used as source of supply. Because if you have, it has higher priority than the source list, so the source list will not be taken into account.
- The source list have to have only one MRP relevant ( = MRP indicator is set to '1' or '2') line.
- From the source's document type only one, and no other valid entry exists in the source list.
- Be sure, that the source is stored in the source list after you have updated it, and after you have updated the material master with special procurement key (optional).
- The requirements date (which can be also influenced by GR processing time) must covered by the source list's validity date.
- The expected source on the source list must not be blocked with blocking indicator.
- The rescheuling date not influence this
- 3 - Additional information, possible problems
- For S4HANA simplification functionality changes please check this page:
- Please note, that in S4/HANA the functionality from the above is a bit changed and simplified, for details please review SAP Note 2268069
- If you carry out the source determination process in the background, the system must determine a unique source to enable a purchase order to subsequently be generated automatically. In this case the priority decides if two outline agreements are found, the system checks whether one of them is with a regular vendor.
- If so, this agreement is assigned as the unique source.
- If not, the system does not assign a source at all. The source must then be assigned manually.
- ME57 does not consider the variant configuration data during the selection of the source of supply
- Program and transactions of RM06BZ00 nd RM06BZ10 working in the way as ME51n, and not like MRP running
- If central contract not assigned as source, you need to use ALV scope of list
- 06 722 error occurred (Material xxx not included in source list despite source list requirement)
You have been set the "source list" indicator (MARC-KORDB) in the material master's purchasing view for a corresponding plant. As the F1 Help of the indicator also mentions, in this case you need to maintain a valid source list entry (not blocked, not expired) for the material, even if it is a stock transfer process (need to enter supplying plant into source list).
- When you use quota arrangement, the special procurement key of the quota arrangement item must correspond to the special procurement key for the source list entry (recognizable, for example, in table EORD). If, for example, the special procurement in the material master is changed, when the source list entry already exists, not corresponding special procurement keys can occur and a new source list entry must be created. Make sure you store the source in the source list after you have updated it, and after you have updated the material master with special procurement key. The respective special procurement type for a source of supply cannot directly be maintained in the source list. Instead, the special procurement types from outline agreements that are entered in the source list are copied. If you maintain only one vendor, the special procurement type in the source list is always initial.