By Fiori we mean: relating to Fiori design and development, SAPUI5 and OPENUI5 apps.
By Accessibility we mean relating to features that support:
- People with permanent disabilities
- People with temporary disabilities
- People as they age, e.g. mature workforce
- People with contextual disabilities - i.e. by choice or context choose to access technology as if disabled, such as working without hands when driving a car, using a smartphone with only one hand, etc.
- People who by preference like to use technologies in different ways, e.g. pinch zoom, Siri & other voice assistants
- Assistive devices and software - such as Screen Readers, Screen Magnifiers, Eye Tracking Navigation, Text-to-Speech, Speech-to-Text, Speech Recognition, Gesture Recognition, etc.
Assistive devices and software:
- may be used by or designed for anyone, e.g. Siri in Apple iPhones, Dragon Naturally Speaking for Speech Recognition
- are often essential for people with certain specific disabilities, e.g. JAWS Screen Readers for the vision impaired
This document is part of the SAP Fiori community. You can also search for information and open a discussion in the Fiori forum if you can't find required information.
Please feel free to insert the link of your document or blog by selecting the edit button from Actions.
We include relevant blogs from experience.sap.com posted 2015 or later, as the majority of accessibility features haves been included in SAPUI5 from 2015 onwards. Relevant blogs from the OPENUI5 or SAPUI5 communities are also welcome.
Please don't forget to use the tags fiori and accessibility when you: search, publish blogs, open discussions.
New and Updated in the last 3 months:
- 2020-06-19 Added SAP Note 2925884 - Prevent the automatic insertion of role application on UI5 application body element
- 2020-04-23 Added SAP Note 2715907 - WEBGUI: Accessibility information and SAP Business Client - Personalization Settings - Accessibility and SAP GUI for Windows - Accessibility
- 2020-01-30 Added WCAG Compliance, patching standard UI5 controls without using extensions
- 2019-07-25 Added What's New - Use UI Theme Designer to create your own custom theme based on SAP High Contrast themes
- 2019-06-12 Added blogs/podcasts in the Why of Accessibility re inclusive design & innovation business case
- 2019-06-04 Added Slicing the elephant - make 14000 user interfaces accessible
- 2019-05-23 Added link to WCAG 2.1 Guidelines
- 2019-05-16 Added Accessibility in SAP Success Factors guide
- 2019-02-20 Added SAP Note 1139953 - Requirements and infrastructure for accessibility
- 2018-11-13 Added Why some S/4HANA apps are marked as Accessible
- 2018-03-18 Added Get Accessible before it's too late by Sharath M G
- 2018-01-29 Added 6 insights about Color and Contrast in SAP Fiori
- 2017-12-22 Added Important Notes section.
- 2017-11-18 Added SAP TechEd Barcelona presentation DX203 on inclusive Fiori design and development
- 2017-11-13 Added latest user guides and CoPilot voice recognition examples
- 2017-11-10 Added Fiori accessibility top 7 and SAP's home page on Diversity and Inclusion for Differently-Abled
- 2017-10-18 Added blog on new theme SAP High Contrast White
- 2017-09-06 Added link to main SAP Software Accessibility and SAP Accessibility Standard pages
- 2017-08-17 Added link to Dolphin Supernova Screen Magnifier - now certified for use with SAP solutions
Fiori Accessibility Summary
Please refer also to the accessibility tag on our User Experience Community site experience.sap.com
- Why some S/4HANA apps are marked as Accessible
- Slicing the elephant - make 14000 user interfaces accessible
Note: Screen Reader Support has been provided in SAPUI5 version 1.30 and above. However customers are recommended to go to the latest SAPUI5 version they can. Accessibility fixes can also be found in the SAPUI5 change log by searching for the term "ACCESSIBILITY".
As of UI Theme Designer 1.34, you can create your own custom themes based on the SAP delivered SAP High Contrast Black and SAP High Contrast White themes:
Important SAP Notes
Recommendation: When searching for notes re screen reader issues, use the keywords "Fiori" and "screen reader". Most relevant notes are found in components CA-FE-FLP-EU (SAP Fiori Launchpad End User UI) and CA-UI5-COR (SAPUI5 Core and Runtime).
- SAP Note 1139953 - Requirements and infrastructure for accessibility - please download the PDF or Word attachments - available in English or German. These have been recently updated for both Fiori/SAPUI5 and GUI 7.60 capabilities
- SAP Note 2301146 - Fiori Launchpad screen reader support - specifically for Enterprise Portal
- SAP Note 2404593 - Accessibility: adding screen reader support to Log off dialog - specifically for Enterprise Portal
SAP Note 2527949 - Fiori Accessibility - JAWS - specifically for HCM apps
ARIA 1.1 CHANGES
SAP & Accessibility
- SAP's Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion for Differently Abled People
- SAP Software Accessibility
- Overview of the SAP Accessibility Standard
- Accessibility #GAAD & Fiori - Beyond High Contrast Black
- Accessible Rich Internet Applications (ARIA) - Part 1: Introduction
- Accessible Rich Internet Applications (ARIA) - Part 2: ARIA
- Accessibility and User Experience
- Accessibility in the SAP Enterprise Architect Explorer
The Why of Accessibility
End User Guides
Fiori Launchpad Usability Guides
Specific accessibility topics for the Fiori Launchpad are discussed in the Usability Guide section of the Fiori Launchpad User Guide, e.g. Keyboard navigation, Screen Reader support, High Contrast Themes, etc. Please ensure you check the correct version of the guide for your solution. A selection of the latest S/4HANA guides are included below. You can find further guides in the SAP Help Portal on the SAP Fiori Launchpad product page.
- Fiori Launchpad Usability Guide - ABAP Platform 1809 = S/4HANA 1809 FPS01 = SAPUI5 1.60
- Fiori Launchpad Usability Guide - NetWeaver 7.5.2 = S/4HANA 1709 = SAPUI5 1.48
- Fiori Launchpad Usability Guide - for NetWeaver 7.5 1 , i.e. S/4HANA 1610 and/or Fiori 2.0
Fiori Launchpad Personalization Options, e.g. setting themes, decluttering (e.g. show one group at a time)
SAP Business Client
SAP SuccessFactors Accessibility Guides
How To Guides
- introducing SAP High Contrast White
- UX for Optimal User Performance – Accessibility & Fiori
- Testing Fast and Slow - Accessibility & Fiori
- Hearing is Believing Part 2 - How - Screen Readers, Accessibility & Fiori
- Hearing is Believing Part 1 - Why - Screen Readers, Accessibility & Fiori
- Zoom Zoom or Why Size Matters - Accessibility & Fiori
- How to Enable High Contrast Black Theme in Fiori Cloud Edition - Accessibility & Fiori
- Keyboard Navigation enables the cool toys - Accessibility & Fiori
- Accessibility & Fiori - High Contrast Black theme
- Please share your documents and blogs.
- Accessibility Factsheets - how-to's with checklists for testing
- A11Y Project
- WCAG Compliance, patching standard UI5 controls without using extensions
These factsheets were funded by the Australian Bureau of Meterologyand are provided under the Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial Licence
Assistive Tech used with SAP
- SAP Certified Solutions Directory
- Dolphin Supernova Screen Magnifier - now certified for use with SAP solutions
Other solutions known to be in use at customers - does NOT imply SAP support.
- Freedom Scientific JAWS
- Dragon Naturally Speaking
Alternative Modes of Operation with SAP
Accessibility in Design
- Microsoft's Radical Bet On A New Type Of Design Thinking | Co.Design | business + design
- Inclusive Design Toolkit Home
- Vision Australia - Considering Accessibility in Design saves Development costs Part of the plan: accessibility from design to development
- Finding Dory and Designing for Diversity
International Accessibility Guidelines
WCAG Guidelines apply in: Australia, Canada, European Union, Hong Kong, India, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Nexw Zealand, Norway, Spain, UK.
- France: RGAA
- Germany: BITV
- Japan: JIS
- USA: Section508.gov | GSA Government-wide Section 508 Accessibility Program
Procurement Policies for Accessibility
- EN301549 - European accessibility requirements for procurement. NOTE: Also adopted by Australia
Understanding the Diversity of Human Abilities
- This section is focused on material that helps us understand the diverse range of human abilities, especially how different people access software. Please share your documents and blogs.
- TED Talk - The forgotten history of Autism by Steve Silberman
- More on Autism by Steve Silberman
Disability Etiquette references
- UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
- ARIA in HTML
- SAPUI5 SDK - There are accessibility sections in Essentials, Developing Apps, and Developing Content
- OPENUI5 SDK - There are accessibility sections in Essentials, Developing Apps, and Developing Content
- Apple Accessibility Guidelines
- Android Accessibility Guidelines
- WebAIM Checklist - This is a simple checklist that presents recommendations for implementing HTML-related principles and techniques for those seeking WCAG 2.0 conformance.
- Udacity - Web Accessibility Online Course
|Brought to you by the SAP Technology RIG|