Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata
Steps to follow:
- Read about EA process: Read about EA to gain better understanding what it is and how to approach it. Look for short articles that explain what EA is all about and for other EA experience. it will help you a lot in the following steps if you will hear from other experience that certain step is crucial, important, got many obstacles, useless, etc'.
- General explanation about EA.
- Others experience:
- Choose EA framework: You must find a framework that best matches your organization needs and sector. Don't try to develop your own methodology. believe us, if you try to do so, chances are that you'll fail (because of time constraints) or you'll end up a famous man . there are several frameworks available for use, we'll just mention the most common ones.
- Zachman : more conceptual less practical - http://www.zifa.com/.
- DoDaf. : Defense oriented framework - http://www.defenselink.mil/nii/doc/DoDAF_v1_Volume_I.pdf
- TOGAF. : More private sectors oriented framework - http://www.opengroup.org/architecture/togaf/.
- SAP EA Framework: SOA oriented enterprise architecture framework
- Learn the chosen framework. all of those frameworks are not so easy to understand from reading them the first time. Start to invest time in order to learn the framework so you'll have the basic tools to adjust the framework to your enterprise needs and to follow the framework while developing your enterprise architecture.
- *Hire a consultant who knows the chosen framework and has experience.*there are so many pitfalls in that process so its better to find someone who will be beside you when you're going through the process. Besides keeping you from making mistakes, a consultant can be a great tool to dismantle political mines in the enterprise. Use that tool when neccesary. One of the major factors for choosing a consultant should be the chemistry with the person. You need to work very closely with that person so don't let the personal stuff interfere with your work. Simply make sure that you will get along with the chosen consultant.
- *Adjust the framework to your enterprise needs.*All of the frameworks need to be adjusted in order to fit your enterprise. Enterprises are like humans, they look the same but every one of them is diffrent form the others. Therefore, none of the frameworks will fit your enterprise perfectly. Invest time with your consultant in order fo adjust the framework to your needs.
- start EA awareness process. Enterprise architecture touches every one inside the enterprise (and outside as well). You must promote and explain the need for an enterprise architecture, what enterprise architecture is and how this process will be done. First of all you need to find out ways to convince enterprise managers and workers for the need to run EA process. There are several ways but most of them based on publication of the current situation in the enterprise. You can draw the current situation in an eye catching way and to publish it all around the enterprise, you can speak at enterprise meetings and there are many other ways to get peoples attention that something is wrong and we're trying to fix it.
- Determine the scope and objectives.
- Create a vision.
- Get CxO level approval.
- Document current organization structure.
- Identify main business functions.
- Set preliminary business model.
- A Practical Guide for Developing an Enterprise Architecture : http://www.gao.gov/bestpractices/bpeaguide.pdf
- Enterprise Architecture Planning, Steven H. Spewak.
- The Practical Guide to Enterprise Architecture by James McGovern,Scott W. Ambler,Michael E.
- Handbook on Enterprise Architecture (International Handbooks on Information Systems) by Peter Bernus, Laszlo Nemes (Editor), Gunter Schmidt (Editor).