What is SAP IQ ?
SAP IQ is the RDBMS that specializes in search speed by using the SAP SQL Anywhere (SQLA).
To the data file is stored in the compressed index information, by expanding all the data necessary for the query on the memory, and provides high-speed search speed.
SAP IQ is used in the following situations
- Decision support system(DSS)
- Data warehouse (DWH)
Major advantage of SAP IQ
- High speed
- Designed for ad hoc queries
- Reduction of I/O in the search
- Speed of execution
- Superior data compression technology
- Reduction of disk storage size
- The use of different data sources
Special data structure
- Column width data structure
- Read and store the data in columns
- Returns only the columns required for the query, reduce the I/O
- Bit width index
- High-speed calculation/comparison/Sort by new index of by the patented technology
- Data compression
- Storing compressed data to disk
- Database size can be compressed to 1/10
- Provide a distributed processing by up to 1024 nodes
- Provide a standard open interfaces
Structure of SAP IQ
Structure of Catalog Engine
- Catalog Engine(SQLAnywhere)
- Set of start-up parameters
- Transaction log file
- Catalog store(Pure SQLAnywhere database)
- dbname.000 – 999.srvlog
- Server log file(Error log of Catalog engine)
- Catalog engine will be used to manage the IQ database and user connections.
Structure of IQ engine
- IQ engine will process the user queries.
IQ_SYSTEM_MAIN does not create a user table because the system DB store.
- IQ engine (IQ)
IQ_SYSTEM_MAIN DB store
Temporary DB store
User DB store
IQ Message Log(Error of IQ engine)
Location of the base file (SAP IQ 16.0)
Basic information required for the Incident registration
When you register the Incident, please attach the following files in order to find the exact product versions and error details to Incident.
These information does not need to be collected separately. SAP IQ provides a utility to collect this information. → getiqinfo
If the problem occurs, to get the results of one of the utility and three procedures.
See Also: KBA 2120431 - How to gather information about an SAP IQ installation
Recovery from abnormal termination
When IQ server is down, gather error logs before restart.
- SAP IQ in order to reduce disk I/O, do most of the operations on the buffer cache (memory).
Therefore, even if the process is terminated abnormally if during the writing of the data, the memory data is rolled back to the time of restart, a possibility that the data on the device is broken is very low.
- However, in order to verify the integrity of the page (disk), after the re-start from the abnormal termination, it is recommended that you always run the sp_iqcheckdb.
- If the recovery time can not be taken, check the allocation of the entire database in the allocation mode.
–sp_iqcheckdb 'allocation database‘
- After the restart from serious trouble, you can check the error of the entire database allocation and index in check mode.
–sp_iqcheckdb ‘check database'
Check the page breakage or leakage page using the results of sp_iqcheckdb.
Action and Output of sp_iqcheckd Modes
|Allocation||Allocation errors||Allocation statistics only||4TB / hour|
Most index errors
|All available statistics||60GB/hour|
All index errors
|All available statistics||15GB/hour|
|Dropleaks||Allocation errors||Allocation statistics only||4TB/hour|
Get a memory dump(Crash Dump)
If the following conditions are occurring, global support may require a memory dump of SAP IQ.
- Error message and stack trace is not output to IQMSG and SRVLOG
- Process terminates abnormally (silent crash)
Global Support analyzes the memory dump, and then get the stack trace where the problem occurred.
- Search for past cases from the stack trace for problem-solving.
- It is not possible to Fixed a code is also to identify the problem from the memory dump.
- Fix the problem will require a reproduction procedure.
Only in Linux / UNIX, if IQ server when you run a certain process is down, IQ process is capable of generating the Core file.
Set the IQ_UNLIMIT_CORE to YES.
% setenv IQ_UNLIMIT_CORE YES
YES, it must be specified in uppercase.
When you restart the IQ after setting, it will be displayed Notice to the start-up message.If you are able to down the IQ process again, it will complete Core file is generated.
Special procedures exist in the Windows
–When a IQ process was downed, VC++ Runtime Error screen is sometimes indicated.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps
See Alosp: MSDN (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb787181.aspx)
|DumpFolder||REG_EXPAND_SZ||%LOCALAPPDATA%¥CrashDumps||The path where the dump files are to be stored|
The maximum number of dump files in the folder.
Specify one of the following dump types:
0: Custom dump
1: Mini dump
2: Full dump
|CustomDumpFlags||REG_DWORD||0||This value is used only when DumpType is set to 0.|
Useful link of SAP IQ 16.0
Sybase Channels http://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/SYBASE/Sybase+Channels
SAP IQ Channel http ://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/SYBIQ/SAP+IQ+Channel
SAP IQ SCN http://scn.sap.com/community/iq/content
SAP IQ Home http://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/SYBIQ/IQ
Offical Manual site of SAP IQ http://help.sap.com/iq
Manual site of Sybase(old) http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/index.jsp