- What does the download file contain?
- What is it used for?
- When to use it?
- How to use it?
- What is checked?
What does the download file contain?
On the basis of the latest experiences with database parameter configurations in published software, the SAP MaxDB development team provides a database parameter check file which is regularly updated (and attached to note 1111426).
What is it used for?
After you have downloaded and extracted the file, you can run a check to verify whether your current database configuration corresponds to the latest recommendations made by SAP. Please note that these are recommendations only. In special cases and depending on your data load or the application profile, technical support might suggest a different configuration for your system.
When to use it?
We recommend that you run the check every time you have installed a new SAP MaxDB software version, because different recommendations may apply for different software versions. Since the download file is updated regularly, always check whether a more recent version is available for download.
How to use it?
1. Download the file and extract it to your local directory ‹temp_directory›.
2. Perform the automatic check as the database system administrator using the database analyzer command described in note 1111426.
3. Analyze the screen output or the file <temp_dir>/<YYYYMMDD>/DBAN.prt. Analyze all the outputs that are marked with "* W1 - *W3.
What is checked?
Depending on the database type and version, several database parameters are checked.
Furthermore, the following will be veryfied:
- Do bad indexes exist?
- Is the database trace ON?
- Are there tables for which no statistical data is stored in the file directory?
- Is the logging function ON and the automatic overwrite function OFF?
- Does the data cache size correspond to the recommendations, that is 2% of the database size on unicode or 1 % of the database size on other operating systems?