This document shall give an overview on how a transition can be done from CAD-Desktop (also named CDESK) to SAP ECTR (also abbreviated ECTR). The document gives a general overview, which may differ depending on specific CAD systems used and customer specific environments.
Mandatory steps during the transition for user training, Installation, roll out, regression testing etc. are not part of this documents.
The document is a living document and may be changed without any notice.
Some facts upfront
You have to plan the transition. Start early enough with this!
CAD-Desktop does not work with S/4 HANA. When you plan to upgrade to S/4 HANA you should start the ECTR project at least one year before the conversion to S/4 HANA!
- CAD-Desktop and SAP ECTR use both the same SAP Business Objects to store CAD related information. This is mainly
- Document Info Record for files and file attributes (incl. DRAW-RES4 fields)
- Bill of Documents for file relations (incl. STPO-SORTF fields)
- Object Links from Document Info Record to Material Master
- CAD-Desktop and its interfaces to the CAD systems may have additional tables where CAD specific information is stored.
- SAP ECTR uses the DType (Table-Column CDESK_DRAW-SUBTYPE) to define additional, specific business behaviour for documents.
- SAP ECTR does not consider customer specific logic implemented in the BAdis CDESK*.
- SAP ECTR offers a variety of additional enhancements spots to define own customer specific application logic. See Operations Guide, chapter 7.
- Both, CDESK and ECTR, are using the SAP Document Management capabilities, e.g. locking of documents during editing.
The SAP ECTR ABAP Add-On can be installed without any impact on CDESK or DMS on the same ERP backend. This might deviate, if enhancements or modification have been done and needs to be investigated.
Planning steps for transition
There are basically two scenarios possible how you can make a transition from CAD-Desktop to SAP ECTR:
- Scenario 1 - Big bang: Shutdown CAD-Desktop and start the next day with SAP ECTR
- Scenario 2 - Parallel usage: Use CAD-Desktop and replace org unit by org unit with SAP ECTR. This gives customers the chance to extend the transition phase from CAD-Desktop to SAP ECTR.
In any case you need to make sure, that current, CDESK based business processes are mapped into new, ECTR-based business processes.
Scenario 1 - Big Bang
When following the big bang approach you have to assure, that all document info records used by SAP ECTR must have a defined DType. SAP Note 2117843 explains required steps.
Scenario 2 - Parallel usage
Parallel usage means, that the same document info records and its originals can be accessed either via CDESK or ECTR.
<In this section we intend to describe in detail for which reference process and CAD integrations the parallel usage was tested. We cannot give a general support, as there might be deviations from the reference process but also due to customer enhancements (e.g. BAdIs in CDESK environment), which we do not know.>
AutoCAD / AutoCAD Mechanical
A parallel usage of „SAP PLM Integration to AutoCAD Mechanical“ (based on CAD-Desktop) and the „SAP ECTR interface to AutoCAD Mechanical“ can be achieved. Generally this will need some project specific measures.
A parallel usage of „SAP PLM Integration to CATIA V5“ (based on CAD-Desktop; also known as CDI) and the „SAP ECTR interface to CATIA V5“ can be achieved. Generally this will need some project specific measures.
For further information and questions regarding this topic please open a customer incident on the component PLM-ECC-CAT.
A parallel usage of „SAP PLM Integration to Inventor“ (based on CAD-Desktop) and the „SAP ECTR interface to Inventor“ can be achieved. Generally this will need some project specific measures.
Follow the instructions of note 2105749!
A parallel usage of „SAP PLM Integration to Solid Edge“ (based on CAD-Desktop) and the „SAP ECTR interface to Solid Edge“ can be achieved. Generally this will need some project specific measures.
A parallel usage of „SAP PLM Integration to SOLIDWORKS“ (based on CAD-Desktop) and the „SAP ECTR interface to SOLIDWORKS“ can be achieved. Generally this will need some project specific measures.
A parallel usage of „SAP PLM Integration for Pro/ENGINEER“ (based on CAD-Desktop) and the „SAP ECTR interface to PTC Creo“ can be achieved. Generally this will need some project specific measures.
For further information and questions regarding this topic please open a customer incident on the component PLM-ECC-PRO.
Related SAP notes
- 2303714 - ECTR: What is consulting - What is support?
- 2117843 - ECTR: Upgrade of CAD desktop integration to SAP Engineering Control Center interface
- 2648617 - ECTR: Upgrade of the SAP PLM Interfaces for AutoCAD, Inventor, Solid Edge, SOLIDWORKS
- 2105749 - ECTR: Upgrade from "SAP PLM interface to NX" to "SAP Engineering Control Center interface to NX"