This wiki page describes the steps to configure the system to create automatically batches for a production order.
It is possible to configure the batch creation logic for different business processes. This document will cover the customizing for production process.
Activating Batch Number Assignment
The first step is activate the internal batch number assignment so the system can automatically define a batch number for the process selected.
Use transaction OMCT to activate the internal batch number assignment.
The second step is define the number range, which the system will use in the internal batch creation. Use transaction OMAD and select object BATCH_CLT:
Press “Display” Button. In the next screen press “Ranges” button:
In this screen you can set the number range in batch creation:
If you press “intervals” button, you will see that a number range was automatically created by the system. However, you can edit or create a new one according to your business needs.
Important: It is not possible to create more than one number range for batches.
It is also possible to use a custom logic to create batch numbers. It can be done in userexit EXIT_SAPLV01Z_001.
Batch Creation for Production Process
The customizing transaction for automatic batch creation in production process is OPKP.
This is the main transaction for “scheduling profile”. However, there is a session which we can configure the batch creation logic.
There are 3 options for field “Automatic Batch Creation in the Order”:
- No automatic batch creation in production/process order: When this option is set, the system does not create automatically a batch during the order creation.
- Automatic batch creation at order creation: The batch number is created automatically during order creation. However, the system will only create if you activate the “internal batch number assignment” in customizing transaction OMCZ.
- Automatic batch creation at order release: The batch is created automatically during the order release. However, the system will only create if you activate the “internal batch number assignment” in customizing transaction OMCZ.
There are 5 options for field “Batch Classification”:
- No branching to batch classification: The classification does not happen automatically. In other words, the tab “classification” in transaction MSC3N will be empty.
- Classification carried out in background (all batches): The system will carry out the classification in background. In other words, a system will execute the classification in a update function module (uses update work process). This option is recommended for scenarios where classification might lead to performance issues.
- Classification only in foreground for mandatory characteristics (all batches): The system will carry out the classification process in foreground for mandatory characteristics (field “required entry” is marked in CL02 transaction). It can cause performance issues depending the quantity of the characteristic assigned.
- Classification always in foreground (all batches): The system will carry out the classification process in foreground for all batches no matter if the characteristic is mandatory or not.
- Classification in foreground for new batches only: The system will execute the classification only for those batches created during the order creation. It does not execute for batches previously created.
The flag “Extended Classification” is used when a custom logic to set the characteristics values in classification is needed. If you set this flag, you must implement your custom code in userexits EXIT_SAPMM07M_004 (MM transactions) or EXIT_SAPLV01Z_014 (PP transactions).
The flag “Always Batch Split” is used when the split is allowed for the components.