Analytics for SAP for Retail
In an area challenged by slim profit margins, decreasing customer loyalty and high costs associated with investing in exclusive real estate, retailers are continuously looking for ways to improve their businesses by measuring performance against goals. With Analytics for SAP for Retail, retailers can begin to understand the rapidly changing market needs; knowledge they can use to increase overall profitability. Analytics for SAP for Retail supports decision making in:
- Price and Promotion optimization
- Demand Forecasting
- Product Affinity Metrics analysis
- Loss Prevention
- Merchandise and Assortment Planning
- Point of Sale analysis
This wiki on the SAP Community Network serves to give you an overview of analytics capabilities for SAP for Retail.
Note: For brevity, the SAP Service Marketplace will be referred to SMP. Special login details are required to access documents on SMP.
Getting Started with Analytics for SAP for Retail
- Retail BI Content Documentation - The Retail BI Content is delivered as an add-on to SAP BI. The content is a preconfigured set of role and task-related information models that are based on consistent metadata in SAP Business Intelligence. BI Content provides selected roles within a company with the information that the roles need to perform their tasks. This information model includes integral roles, workbooks, queries, InfoSources, InfoCubes, DataStore objects, key figures, characteristics, update rules, and extractors for SAP applications. The main purpose of the pre configured BI Content is:
- that it can be used within Retail without the need to modify it.
- that it can be adapted so that you can work with it to any degree of detail.
- to serve as a template or as an example for customer-defined BI Retail Content.
- Trade Foundation documentation on the SAP Help Portal - Located within the Retail BI Content Documentation, this technical content documentation for retail contains data structures, data elements, and program code (external to BI Content) that is used to prepare and distribute raw data to BI Content data providers.
- SAP NetWeaver Business Intelligence on SDN - A collection of deep technical content and expertise for SAP developers, analysts, consultants, and administrators on SAP NetWeaver.
- SAP NetWeaver How To Guide - How-to Guides are official guides provided by the Field, RIG (Regional Implementation Group) or Product Management to share relevant, important, and up-to-date information about such topics as technical infrastructure, performance issues and hardware requirements. The How-to Guides also include process-focused scenarios and supplement existing documentation.
Qualification - Analytics for SAP for Retail Curriculum
You can find the right BI course tailored to your specific needs within the SAP for Retail training marketplace (SMP credentials required). A schedule will provide information about upcoming events and a contact address for workshops on demand. You can find detailed information about the following Analytics for SAP for Retail workshops:
- W26BAI Introductory Workshop for SAP NetWeaver BW Accelerator
- W26BAA Advanced Workshop for SAP NetWeaver BW Accelerator (Basis Administration Topics)
- W26BAB Advanced Workshop for SAP NetWeaver BW Accelerator (BW Topics)
Generic BW analytics workshops can be found within the SAP Training Catalog.
Business Objects Capabilities
SAP and Business Objects - An Introduction
SAP has long been a pioneer and leader in the enterprise applications market, helping organizations automate and improve their business operations, which led to better business process execution. As a separate company, Business Objects was a pioneer and leader in the business (BI) market, helping organizations make more intelligent decisions, which led to a better business strategy. The SAP portfolio, which includes the SAP BusinessObjects portfolio, gives customers superior execution and strategy and, most importantly, provides the means to align and connect them in a closed-loop system supporting strategic agility.
Combined, software from SAP and Business Objects supports greater efficiency within the company and across the business network; sharpens insight for users based on reliable, real-time data; and provides the flexibility to turn insight into strategic decisions. This results in optimized business performance, which enterprises need to stay ahead of the competition.
Benefits of Using SAP BusinessObjects Solutions
SAP BusinessObjects solutions optimizes business performance by:
- enabling collaborative business networks. The SAP BusinessObjects portfolio supports the efficient flow of information throughout a company's ecosystem.
- empowering business insight into any data source. The SAP BusinessObjects portfolio helps companies make more effective decisions based on a broader array of data sources from both inside and outside the enterprise and from structured and unstructured sources, thus enabling prompt and appropriate corporate response.
- enabling people to work as teams in a way that reflects how they really work. The SAP BusinessObjects portfolio provides business users tools and applications that handle the information needed within the business context teams work in, enhancing collaboration and decision making within groups and across work units.
Documents and Links
- SAP Retail and Business Objects Positioning Presentation - Find out why the combination will provide a truly unique offer with great potential to create value for our customers.
- General architecture and background about Business Objects can be found on SDN.
Analytics for SAP for Retail - Features, Capabilities and Best Practices
BW Trade Foundation
The BI Trade Foundation is a technical content layer that is used as a base for BI Content and applications in the Trading Industries environment. It contains technical content such as data structures, data elements, and program code which is external to BI Content.
- Trade BW Logistic Extration Documentation (SMP credentials required) - This document contains a detailed description about the main logistical extractions on a retail point of view. Each extractor/DataSource is described on a very detailed level, means field information, used process keys and retail specifics are mentioned. Additional you can find general information's about how overall handling and setup of a logistic extraction process, for example stock initialization, reconstruction, necessary customizing is described in detail. This document applies to SAP ERP EhP4 and SAP BW BI_CONT 704.
- Trade BI Foundation - How to Use Service Classes for Keyfigure Transformations (SMP credentials required) - The service classes covered in this article for keyfigure transformations are ABAP-OO classes and methods that are used in transformations of the BI Trade Foundation Content. The following description of service classes can be used to avoid code redundancy in keyfigure transformations. The approach is to keep the transformation routine as simple as possible and encapsulate the logic in service methods that can be reused in several transformations.
- Trade BW Foundation Documentation (SMP credentials required) - The Trade BW Foundation is a BW Content layer that can be used to build Trade BW Content models according to the Enterprise Data Warehouse Concept (EDW). It specifically provides an entry level layer of DataStore Objects (DSO's) that provide cleansed and complete data for propagation. Besides that, the Trade BW Foundation also provides a layer for the "corporate memory" of retailers. This document describes the purpose, granularity and context of these two layers in technical detail. Readers should be familiar with BW modeling and extraction.
- Overview BW Retail Master Data (SMP credentials required) will give you a general and technical overview of retail master data within BW.
Point of Sale
- Product Affinity Analysis Documentation (SMP credentials required) - The product affinity analysis investigates sales data for correlations between the articles sold.
The result of the affinity analysis is presented in a set of rules in the following form: "Article B" followed "Article A" with an associated score of value "X".
Supply Chain Analytics / Stock Ledger Analytics
Inventory is the largest cost factor for Retailers; therefore visibility into the supply chain is mandatory. SAP's supply chain analytics will leverage existing data from all of your source systems to gain an integrated, comprehensive view of performance across the supply chain, reduce operating costs, increase revenues, and improve organizational effectiveness.
- BW Retail Content - Supply Chain Analytics/Stock ledger Analytics (SMP credentials required) - This collection of sixty-nine slides gives an overview of the stock ledger analytics and provides an insight and differences between the retail method of accounting and the extended retail method of accounting.
- The Configuration Guide for the retail method of accounting for Ehp4 (SMP credentials required) explains in detail how to activate and customize the retail method of accounting.
- ERMA Stock Ledger Documentation (SMP credentials required) - The ERMA Stock Ledger is a BW-based combined view on retail values of sales - in particular POS - transactions and cost values from ERP inventory management. It harmonizes different sources of inventory data, and allows for its flexible mapping to both key-figure based and account-based data models of inventory cubes
Selected Articles & Blogs
- Retail: BW Retail Content - General Introduction slide deck (SMP credentials required) points out the business environment and key issues retail BI has to deal with and shows in general the content structure.
- POS DM: How to delete EAN Assignments from 0RPA_MEAN (SMP credentials required)
This guide describes the necessary steps to create a generic extractor from IS Retail MEAN table to upload the deleted EAN material assignments into 0RPA_MEAN InfoObject in SAP BW. It contains an additional master data extraction scenario based on the implementation steps described in SAP note 835111 and is mainly relevant for customers running SAP POSDM with automated master data checks based on EAN level.
- Performance: Business Intelligence Performance Tuning on SDN - Offers a collection of information, including links to get an overview of SAP Business Intelligence features and settings that impact performance, and of the tools that help identify and address performance problems.
- SAP BW and Teradata Partnership: SAP NetWeaver Business Warehouse with SAP BusinessObjects solutions and the Teradata Database to provide an integrated solution to customers delivering a new level of speed and scalability. Here you can find an overview about the announcement, the solution overview & architecture as well as timelines (*SMP* credentials required).
Run SAP for Retail - Best Practices for Solution Operations
For retailer's global end-to-end solutions with typically high data volumes, an optimized operational concept is key for lowering operating costs, proactively avoiding incidents, ensuring a stable system performance and enabling growth and innovation. "Run SAP for Retail" provides Best Practices for Solution Operations helping you to set up an operational concept for Retail Analytics. Find more information on "Run SAP for Retail" on our "Run SAP for Retail" Wiki page.
- Manage Operations for SAP POS Data Management - POS Analytics Content (SMP credentials required) - This Best Practice helps you set up a Business Process Monitoring and error handling concept for your SAP for Retail POS Data Management Solution and POS Analytics Content.
- Manage Operations for SAP Merchandise and Assortment Planning (SMP credentials required) - This Best Practice helps you to set up a Business Process Monitoring and error handling concept for your business process SAP Merchandise and Assortment Planning (SAP MAP).
- Data Volume Management for SAP Retail (SMP credentials required) - This document describes main Retail business processes and their contribution to data growth in a Retail environment. As Data Volume Management strategies, it contains specific possibilities of data avoidance, summarization, deletion and archiving.
Release-Specific Information - Analytics for SAP for Retail
Maintenance and Availability
- Product Availability Matrix (SMP credentials required) - The Product Availability Matrix bundles technical and release planning information on SAP components for quick reference. You will find information on the availability of SAP component releases (product versions), maintenance end dates and upgrade paths, as well as technical release information (DB-platforms, JSE-platforms, operating systems.
FAQ - Frequently Ask Questions
FAQ Trade BW Foundation: 1320386