Extended Warehouse Management for Retail
Warehouse Management and Distribution Center operations in Retail vary among segments given product characteristics, product flows, velocity, goods handling equipment used, picking strategies, required value added services, etc.
Grocery, hard goods facilities tend to deal more with products in pallets and cases. Grocery adds the complexity of operations in multiple temperature zones and short shelf life products.
Fashion or soft goods will additionally have garments on hangers (GOH) and higher amount of value added services; specialty, health and beauty care (HBC) segments tend to have more broken case or piece picking operations.
SAP SCM EWM offers increased flexibility and capabilities beyond ERP warehouse management functionality. Typically SCM is tailored to organizations with high SKU and line item volumes, very fast moving products, complex cross docking or picking requirements, detailed packaging and shipping processes, and third party logistic services (3PL) on either the Inbound or Outbound side, or both.
Inherently, SAP SCM EWM should operate as decentralized system architecture. This is designed in this matter to maximum performance and flexibility, which is necessary especially in Retail industry. From the SAP EWM 5.1 and 7.0 releases retailers will get more and more retail-specific functionality; beginning with the deployment of article master data and set up of different article types (e.g. generic articles) to enable fashion scenarios with SKU/articles in color/size variants within SAP EWM.
Primary SCM EWM capabilities include the following functions for Retailers:
- Set up and flexible adoption of complex warehouse structures
- Inbound Yard management, Inbound processing, deconsolidation and dynamic Slotting
- Quality assurance and control
- Incorporated Task management & Resource management and Handling unit management
- Integrated Labor management
- Warehousing and storaging according to Placement & Removal strategies, rearrangement
- Physical inventory procedures
- Advanced Picking procedures and Picking wave management
- Outbound processing, Value added services and Outbound Yard management
- Labor management
- Merchandise distribution and multi-step Transportation Cross docking
- Operational execution monitoring and business analytics (e.g. service level KPI's, vendor scoring )
- Integration of Environment, Health & Safety (Hazardous Goods), Global Trade services (Import/Export/Bonded warehouse) and Supply Chain Collaboration (Trade partner & Logistic service provider collaboration, SC Event management)
- Process guidance and Post processing framework to real-time trigger follow-on processes
- Supporting different warehouse technologies (connecting Warehouse Control systems, RF scanning, voice- and RFID-enabled processes)
Note: For brevity, the SAP Service Marketplace will be referred to as SMP. Special login details are required to access documents on SMP.
Getting started with Extended Warehouse Management
- SAP Solution in detail - Extended Warehouse Management with SAP Supply Chain Management - Read this document to understand key functions and benefits of SAP EWM and get an overview on deployment options.
Qualification - Curriculum
- Extended Warehouse Management Curriculum - This helps you to find the right trainings for EWM.
Features, Capabilities and Best Practices
- SCN capability SAP Extended Warehouse Management on SCN BPX - Get a lot of information about the generic EWM solution on the SCM solution BPX page.
- An Introduction to SAP Extended Warehouse Management from a consultant perspective - See the Webcast or view the presentation to get an overview on EWM from a consultant perspective. The speaker has spent time in Walldorf for release testing of SAP EWM and has a strong background in warehouse management best practices and SAP ERP.
Release specific Information SAP EWM 7.0
- SAP Extended Warehouse Management in the SAP Library - read this documentation to understand the capabilities of SAP EWM in more detail
- Release Notes (SMP logon credentials required)
- Installation and Upgrade Information and Operations Guide (SMP logon credentials required) - Here you can find comprehensive information for the implementation (installation/upgrade) of SAP EWM 7.0.