The purpose of this page is to explain the behavior of the Overview portlet and the related configuration options.
The Overview portlet displays information about the employee's ratings, hire date, time in position and Matrix Grid Placement. However, it is a legacy portlet with potentially confusing behavior and it can be tricky to configure it in a way such that it is completely aligned with the Matrix Grid Report. So, Cloud Product Support actually recommends using other available portlets in its place. Other portlets that can be used to convey the same information: Performance History, Trend Elements (sysOverallPerformance, sysOverallPotential, sysOverallObjective, sysOverallCompetency) and the Matrix Grid Placement History portlet.
The first four elements display the average or latest rating for Performance, Potential, Objective and Competency. Following, the "Hire Date" and "Date of Position" fields are displayed. Finally, the portlet displays a mini 9-box for Performance-Potential and How vs. What, which also allows the users to give new ratings.
All rating information on this portlet is subject to the process (sources, date range and whether to include in-progress forms) selected in the People Profile: Configure People Profile > General Settings > Talent Data Settings.
The first four elements of the Overview portlet display the average or latest rating for Performance, Potential, Objective and Competency. These ratings will appear if the logged-in user has "View" permissions for the sysOverall Trend Elements in Employee Data. This section reviews the different options to configure this portlet, which are available under Admin Center > Configure People Profile > select the Overview portlet:
Show Ratings as:
|Normalized Rating (Unrounded)|
Display the unrounded rating number according to the Rating Scale from the selected People Profile process under General Settings.
|Normalized Rating (Rounded)||Display the rounded rating number according to the Rating Scale from the selected People Profile process under General Settings.|
|Normalized Rating (Rounded) - Labels only||Display only the rating label according to the Rating Scale Settings (Required) from the mapped process in General Settings > Include Talent Data in this process.|
|Normalized Rating (Rounded) - Matrix Rating Labels only||Display only the rating label according to the Matrix Grid Rating Scales tool in Admin Center|
The first three options in "Show Rating as" will cause the Overview portlet to retrieve all the ratings available for the user for the process and date range period selected in the Talent Data Settings in People Profile, normalize the ratings to the target rating scale and then take an average of all found ratings.
The last option ("Normalized Rating (Rounded) - Matrix Rating Labels only") will cause the Overview portlet to only consider the latest rating available within the process and date range period.
All except the first option will cause the ratings to be rounded according to the rounding rule selected in Admin Center > Reporting and Analytics > Dashboard Rating Scales > Rating Rounding Rule for Bell Curve. There are three rounding rules available:
- Normal (example: 1.50 rounds to 2.00)
- Always Round Down (example: 1.99 rounds to 1.00)
- Always Round Up (example: 1.01 rounds to 2.00)
The rating scale to be used in this normalization process depends on the process selected for the People Profile in Admin Center > Configure People Profile > General Settings > Talent Data Settings.
- If "All data sources" is selected, the rating scale selected in Admin Center > Reporting and Analytics > Dashboard Rating Scales > "Rating Scale for Dashboard" will be used.
- If there's a specific process selected, the rating scale from the selected process will be used.
- If the "Normalized Rating (Rounded) - Matrix Rating Labels only" option is selected on "Show Ratings as", then the Matrix Grid Rating Scales will be used.
It is possible to configure the Overview portlet to use (1) the standard system labels or (2) the labels from the sysOverall elements from Live Profile:
- Standard Labels: pre-defined system labels that can only be changed through 3-Tier Language Architecture customization. Note that SuccessFactors Cloud Product Support does not apply this kind of change. For more information on 3-Tier Language Architecture, please see SAP KBA 2088077 - How to localize / change labels on BizX.
- Labels from Live Profile: labels from the Trend Elements (e.g. sysOverallPerformance) configured in the Succession Data Model (back-end of the instance). These labels can be changed by a Software Change Request (SCR). For more information on the SCR for Employee Profile, please see SAP KBA 2260511 - SCR Form: Supported XML Software Change Request for Employee Profile & People Profile - Employee Profile.
"Hire Date" and "Date of Position" fields
Below the ratings, the "hireDate" and "dateOfPosition" fields will be displayed according to whether the user has "View" permissions in Employee Data for these fields. For these fields to display in the Overview portlet:
- “dateOfPosition” and/or "hireDate" standard elements should be defined in the Succession Data Model of the instance.
- The user should have permissions over the “dateOfPosition” and/or "hireDate" standard elements for the user whose Overview portlet he is viewing. See SAP KBA 2222837 - "How to grant view/edit permissions for the fields/portlets in employee profile" for more information on how to grant view/edit permissions for fields in Employee Profile.
- The fields should be populated. See SAP KBA 2218720 - "Employee Profile: System Calculated Fields" for more information on how the “dateOfPosition” field is populated. The "hireDate" field is populated as any regular user field through the UDF (User Directory File). The "dateOfPosition" field has a special behavior and can be populated in two ways:
- Calculated based on the start date of the last record from “insideWorkExperience” section;
- Manually updated by the Employee Profile (Self-Service) or through the Personal Information Import.
Mini 9-box for Performance-Potential and How vs. What
The mini 9-box will populate with the user's latest rating for the process and date range period defined in the Talent Data Settings of People Profile. It does not follow Custom Weights defined in the Matrix Grid Reports and follows the below rules as to when users can see them and when they can update them.
It also does not support modifying the placement from the mini 9 box as well, every change user makes in the Mini 9-box creates a new entry in the database. This can be observed through Adhoc Report > Employee Profile Domain > All ratings information, source = Scorecard. If the user wishes to modify the rating record, this need to be done via the Trend Portlet. Trend Portlet to check varies on the rating source configured in Matrix Grid Reports Settings in Admin Center. For more information, see #4 in Matrix Grid Reports - Admin Center Configurations and SAP KBA 2149125 - Identifying the Source of Ratings in the Trend Portlets
Users can see the mini 9-box if all following conditions are true:
- Matrix Grid Reports have been enabled for the instance;
- Both of the Live Profile Trend Elements selected to be used in the Matrix Grid Report have been added as data sources to the selected process (such as "Performance" and "Potential" under the "Succession Data" section when configuring a process);
- The sysOverall Trend Elements have been configured in the Succession Data Model;
- Users have "View" permissions for the elements in Employee Data in RBP (Employee Data > Background Elements)
Users can update the mini 9-box if the following conditions are met:
- All above conditions for seeing the data are satisfied.
- Users also have "Edit" permissions for the sysOverall Trend Elements in Employee Data in RBP;
- Custom Weights are not enabled in Admin Center > Succession > Matrix Grid Reports: Performance-Potential or Matrix Grid Reports: How vs What.
Bridge KBA: 2848264
SAP KBA 2088077 - How to localize / change labels on BizX.
SAP KBA 2260511 - SCR Form: Supported XML Software Change Request for Employee Profile & People Profile - Employee Profile.
SAP KBA 2222837 - How to grant view/edit permissions for the fields/portlets in employee profile
SAP KBA 2218720 - Employee Profile: System Calculated Fields