The purpose of this page is to provide an overview of the Succession Org Chart and to act as a bridge to any content related to this feature.
The Succession Org Chart (SOC) is a hierarchical view of the reporting relationships of people and positions in your organization.
The Succession Org Chart is the primary interface for managing succession plans from the perspective of your organization. It has a configurable layout that allows you to show and update succession plans according to the way your organization works.
- You can search for positions or people and then navigate through the position hierarchy, reviewing succession plans for the reporting line you selected.
- Key positions are clearly marked, making it easier for you to manage your succession strategy.
- The information you see for people and positions on the Succession Org Chart is controlled by your various role-based permissions and target populations, ensuring sensitive information remains protected.
Are there different versions of the Succession Org Chart?
Currently, we have two versions of the Succession Org Chart available: v12 Succession Org Chart - which is the latest version and is in line with the SAP Fiori standards and provides a streamlined experience consistent with the People Organization Chart, Position Organization Chart, and Entity Organization Chart - and the v11 Succession Org Chart - which is the older version and has its end of maintenance planned for Q1 2018 and end of life planned for Q1 2019. See the dates below that apply to the v11 Succession Org Chart:
- End of development: Starting from Q1 2017, functional enhancements will only be made to the v12 UI version.
- End of maintenance: The last release in which maintenance activities, such as code fixes, will be applied to versions other than v12 is Q1 2018. As of Q2 2018, no more maintenance activities will be performed for older versions.
- End of life: The last release in which customers can productively use versions lower than v12 is Q1 2019. As of Q2 2019, we will automatically activate the new v12 UI version for all those customers who have not yet enabled the v12 UI version themselves.
For more information on the End of Maintenance for v11 Succession Org Chart, please refer to Succession Implementation and Administration Guide - Succession Org Chart - End of Maintenance for Succession Org Chart v11.
For more information on the main differences between v11 and v12 Succession Org Chart, as well as the benefits of migrating to v12 Succession Org Chart, please refer to Succession Implementation and Administration Guide - Succession Org Chart and to this Wiki Page: Succession Org Chart v12 - Functionality Overview.
How to upgrade to v12 Succession Org Chart?
The only requirement to upgrade to v12 Succession Org Chart is to have "Version 12 UI framework (Revolution)" enabled in the back end (provisioning), which all customers should already have enabled.
You can upgrade to the v12 Succession Org Chart via the Upgrade Center:
- Go to Admin Center > Upgrade Center.
- Under "Option Upgrades", locate "Succession Org Chart V12" > click on "Learn More & Upgrade Now".
- Click "Upgrade Now" > click "Yes" to confirm the upgrade.
The v12 Succession Org Chart supports displaying icons (Talent Flags) in the Succession Org Chart Node, but it does not support displaying text options in the Succession Org Chart Node. So, if you used to display information like Hire Date, Date of Position, Performance or Potential ratings, latest Matrix Gird (9-box) placement, this information will no longer be available directly in the Succession Org Chart Node. Instead, we offer a new feature called the "Talent Card" to display detailed information about the employees.
To configure talent card, admins need to first grant themselves permission to “Manage Talent Card”. To enable this permission, navigate to Admin Tools > Manage Permission Roles. Select your desired role and navigate to Permission > Administrator Permission > Manage Talent Card and check “Manage Talent Card Configuration”.
Once this permission is granted, admins can configure the talent card by navigating to Admin Tools > Employee Files > Manage Talent Card and choosing the “Succession Talent Card”.
For detailed information on the Talent Card feature, refer to Succession: Implementation and Administration Guide - Talent Cards.
The following permissions (available under "Succession Planners" section in RBP) affect the Succession Org Chart and information you will be able to see on it:
- Succession Org Chart Perrmission: grants access to the Succession Org Chart tab.
- Succession Management and Matrix Report Permissions: this permission controls the target population over which the granted user will be able to see successors and icons (talent flags) in the Succession Org Chart. This permission requires a target population.
- Succession Planning Permission: this permission controls the target population over which the granted user will be able to add successors. If the checkbox "Allow succession planners to view successors on org chart nodes/position tile view" is enabled under Admin Center > Org Chart Configuration > Succession Org Chart, this permission will also grant access to see successors. This permission requires a target population.
- Succession Approval Permission: only used if the "Nomination Approval Workflow" is enabled on the back end (provisioning). This permission controls the target population over which the granted user will be able to approve nominations and changes to nominations. This permission requires a target population. For more information on the Nomination Approval Workflow, refer to the Wiki Page Succession Nomination Approval Workflow.
For complete information on the Succession Permissions, refer to the following articles, depending on your nomination method (2569082 - Succession Management - How to identify the Nomination Method configured for your instance?) and permission framework:
- 2151642 - Succession Management permissions for Position/Role-person nomination method with Legacy Permissions
- 2202776 - Succession Management permissions for Position/Role-person nomination method with RBP Permissions
- 2202816 - Succession Management permissions for MDF Position nomination method with RBP permissions
Displaying Additional Information on the SOC
Besides Succession Plans, it's possible to display additional information on Employee Data directly in the Succession Org Chart to help Succession Planners.
- v12 Succession Org Chart: it's possible to configure Talent Flag fields (Risk of Loss, Impact of Loss, Future Leader, etc) that are either picklist or boolean (true/false) values to be displayed as icons directly in the Position Node. In addition to the icons, it's possible to display other fields and background elements about the incumbent and successors in the Talent Card. For more information on how to configure the Talent Card and which information can be displayed, please refer to Succession: Implementation and Administration Guide - Talent Cards.
- v11 Succession Org Chart: it's possible to configure icons as well, as described above, to display directly in the Position Node. In addition, it's possible to configure picklist or boolean values to display as text with a background color (gradient options). It's also possible to display normal text fields (non-picklist text fields), ratings (performance, potential, objective, competency, custom1, custom2) and the Matrix Grid Report placements (matrix1label and matrix2label) to display as text values directly in the Position Node.
For information on how to configure the icons, refer to the Wiki Page Succession Org Chart - How to configure Icons?
The icons and text values displayed directly in the Position Node are configured in the back end, therefore, you'd need the assistance of an Implementation Partner to insert a new icon or make major changes to the existing ones. Please refer to the Wiki Page Succession Org Chart - How to configure Icons? for information on the fields available and their mapping values. If you are having issues with the icons not appearing, please refer to 2312879 - Succession Org Chart: Icons are not appearing.
Ratings on Succession Org Chart
As mentioned above, the v11 Succession Org Chart supports displaying the latest ratings of the incumbents in the Org Chart Node. It's possible to configure which ratings will be displayed by configuring a process (source of ratings), a date range and whether to exclude in-progress forms or not when retrieving the most recent ratings. This can be configured in Admin Center > Succession > Succession Settings. For more information, please refer to the Wiki Page Succession Management - Admin Center - Succession Settings.
Highlight Key/Critical Positions
As part of Succession Planning, you can identify and flag which positions are critical for your company, so then the Succession Planners can easily identify those critical positions and ensure that the creation of Succession Plans are prioritized for them. Once you have flagged a position critical, you can enable the "Highlight Key Position" option in the Succession Org Chart and it will gray out the non-critical positions, allowing you to have a clear view of which positions are critical and focus your planning on those positions.
For more information on this, please see Wiki Page Succession Org Chart - Highlighting Key/Critical Positions.
Admin Center configuration
Most of the Succession Org Chart configuration available in Admin Center is located in Admin Center > Succession > Org Chart Configuration > Succession Org Chart tab. For detailed information on the options available, please refer to Succession Org Chart - Admin Center Configuration.
Displaying Positions with Multiple Incumbents
As of b1802, the Succession Org Chart v12 has been enhanced to display multiple incumbents for a position. So, this limitation will no longer exist for Succession Org Chart v12.
When Employee Central Position Management is enabled for the instance, it is possible to have positions with multiple incumbents, i.e. more than one user occupying the same position. The Succession Org Chart is not prepared to deal with this situation and, when a position has more than one incumbent, no incumbents will be displayed in the Succession Org Chart.
For example, a position with two incumbents in the Position Org Chart:
The same position will not display incumbent information in the Succession Org Chart:
Displaying employees that hold two positions or more
The Succession Org Chart is not prepared to handle an employee holding more than one position. Therefore, when you search by an employee, the system will always display the first position that is found in the database, not allowing you to select which of the positions assigned to the employee you want to view. This applies to both Legacy Positions and MDF Positions (when searching by People) nomination methods.
For you to be able to view the second position, you will need to search for the manager or direct reports of this second position and then navigate through the hierarchy.
If this is a common scenario in your company, there are a few workarounds to show your users that a given employee is holding two or more positions:
- Display the "Successors" portlet in the Employee Profile, which will list both positions of the employee. See below screenshot, where “VP HR” and “VP HR 2” are the two positions the employee holds. This would make the users aware that a given employee is incumbent for two positions and this allow them to search on the other position (the one the Succession Org Chart does not retrieve) by other means (searching for the manager or direct reports and navigating the hierarchy).
- The second workaround would be to use a custom field (or repurpose another field) to indicate that the employee holds more than one position and display this field in the Succession Org Chart. The same concept applies here that, if the user is aware that a given employee is incumbent for two positions, they can search on the other position by other means.
- This workaround is only applicable to MDF Positions. MDF Positions allow you to search by the Position in the Succession Org Chart. Based on this, we can make the incumbent field of the position searchable and search on the employee's UserID in the Position search box. This would bring the two or more positions associated to an employee. Please see below screenshot, where I search by user “sfadmin” and I am able to retrieve both positions associated to the employee.
Bridge KBA: 3026616
Related SAP Notes/KBAs
SAP KBA 2569082: Succession Management - How to identify the Nomination Method configured for your instance?
SAP KBA 2151642: Succession Management permissions for Position/Role-person nomination method with Legacy Permissions
SAP KBA 2202776: Succession Management permissions for Position/Role-person nomination method with RBP Permissions
SAP KBA 2202816: Succession Management permissions for MDF Position nomination method with RBP permissions
SAP KBA 2312879: Succession Org Chart: Icons are not appearing.