The purpose of this page is to explain the functionality available in the Succession Org Chart v12, highlighting possible differences with v11 Succession Org Chart.
The latest version of the Succession Org Chart, v12, is in line with the SAP Fiori standards and provides a streamlined experience consistent with the People Organization Chart, Position Organization Chart, and Entity Organization Chart.
- Clearer and more compact structure on the user interface makes it easier for users to get an overview at first glance.
- Easy access to all key functions.
- Embedded Position Card with full succession plan details including position details, incumbents, successors, and talent pools.
- Embedded Talent Card with full employee talent profile and side-by-side view to compare multiple successors; The Talent Card is easy to configure via the Admin Center so you can adjust it to meet your needs.
- Close integration with development planning.
- Smart layout: when users open various teams in parallel on the same hierarchy level, the horizontal layout switches into a compact-mode vertical layout; Compact-mode vertical layout is also shown for teams larger than 15 employees or positions.
- Adjust the starting position or employee for the org chart with a simple auto-complete field and embedded recent searches feature.
- No Flash technology required.
How to enable the v12 Succession Org Chart?
The only requirement to upgrade to v12 Succession Org Chart is to have "Version 12 UI framework (Revolution)" enabled in the back end (provisioning), which all customers should already have enabled.
You can upgrade to the v12 Succession Org Chart via the Upgrade Center:
- Go to Admin Center > Upgrade Center.
- Under "Option Upgrades", locate "Succession Org Chart V12" > click on "Learn More & Upgrade Now".
- Click "Upgrade Now" > click "Yes" to confirm the upgrade.
The v12 Succession Org Chart supports displaying icons (Talent Flags) in the Succession Org Chart Node, but it does not support displaying text options in the Succession Org Chart Node. So, if you used to display information like Hire Date, Date of Position, Performance or Potential ratings, latest Matrix Gird (9-box) placement, this information will no longer be available directly in the Succession Org Chart Node. Instead, we offer a new feature called the "Talent Card" to display detailed information about the employees.
To configure talent card, admins need to first grant themselves permission to “Manage Talent Card”. To enable this permission, navigate to Admin Tools > Manage Permission Roles. Select your desired role and navigate to Permission > Administrator Permission > Manage Talent Card and check “Manage Talent Card Configuration”.
Once this permission is granted, admins can configure the talent card by navigating to Admin Tools > Employee Files > Manage Talent Card and choosing the “Succession Talent Card”.
For detailed information on the Talent Card feature, refer to Succession: Implementation and Administration Guide - Talent Cards.
What are the key functionality differences between v11 and v12 Succesion Org Chart?
- In the v12 Succession Org Chart, it is only possible to display icons (Talent Flags) directly on the Position Node, while the v11 Succession Org Chart allowed to display text information about the employees directly in the Position Node, such as Hire Date, Date of Position, Performance or Potential ratings, latest Matrix Gird (9-box) placement. In the v12 Succession Org Chart, this information can be displayed in the Talent Card.
- In the v11 Succession Org Chart, it was possible to display the Employee Tile, Position Title or both. In the v12 Succession Org Chart, it is only possible to display the Position Title. Therefore, it you are using the Position Import to maintain positions, it's strongly recommended to include the Position Title in the import.
- v12 Succession Org Chart does not support Form-Based Nominations. Only Formless Nominations are supported by the v12 Succession Org Chart.
- The v12 Succession Org Chart does not support Legacy Talent Pools. This is why Legacy Talent Pools will have its end of maintenance/end of life scheduled together with the v11 Succession Org Chart's.
- The v12 Succession Org Chart only supports displaying Role Details if you have Job Profile Builder.
Layout and Display Options
Position Node Layout
The Position Node displays information about: the position, the position's incumbent, the position's successors and the team size.
Talent Flags (Icons)
By clicking on the Display Options icon > Show on Card, you can mouse over the icons to see their legend (what each icon means) and you can also enable/disable the options to choose what to display on the Position Node.
By mousing over the incumbent or the successors on the Position Node, you can also see the legend for the icons and see the employee's title.
Hiding Position Node Information
To make it easier for Succession Planners to conduct Succession related meetings with employees that have less visibility on Succession Information and Talent Flags, it is possible to hide the information in the Position Node. On the position node, click on the "Less" link in the top-right corner and the Succession Information and Talent Flags will be hidden. After doing so, click on the "More" link to display the information again.
It is possible to choose between three display modes for the Succession Org Chart on Display Options > Report Types:
Displays direct and matrix reports on the Succession Org Chart;
|Direct Reports Only|
only displays direct reporting relationships on the Succession Org Chart. Based on the Manager field in the User Data File;
|Matrix Reports only||only displays matrix reporting relationships on the Succession Org Chart. Based on the Matrix Report Relationship in User Data File|
Sort Successors By
If the features "Enable ranking of successors" and "Allow ranking across readiness", users are able to sort the successors in the Position Node and in the Talent Card by Readiness, and then Rank or by Rank, and then Readiness.
For more information on this feature, refer to Wiki Page Succession Management - Admin Center - Nominations Set Up page.
Number of Successors per Card
To allow customers to export snapshots of the Succession Org Chart that display all the successor information and to make Succession Planning Review meetings easier, it is possible to choose whether to display the default position node size, including information of up to 3 successors, or to display up to 12 successors directly in the Position Node. This can be done by clicking the Display Options icon > Number of Successors Per Card > choose "Default" or "More Successors" options.
In the "Others" section of the Display Options, the "Highlight Key Positions" feature is available, if it has been configured in the Succession Org Chart XML. For more information on this feature, refer to the Wiki Page Succession Org Chart - Highlighting Key/Critical Positions.
Export to PDF or JPG
The v12 Succession Org Chart allows you to export the Succession Org Chart view to a PDF File and to a JPG image. These options are available by clicking the "Export" icon next to the "Display Options" icon. You can use this feature in combination with the option of displaying more successors to take a snapshot of your Succession Org Chart for Talent Review meetings.
When you click on the Position Node, the first thing that opens is the Position Card, which displays information about the incumbent, successors and Talent Pools associated with the position. From the Position Card, you can also Add Successors and take actions on the Position, such as:
- Show and Edit Position: available for MDF Positions only. If you only have View Current Position permission, it will be "Show Position";
- Delete Position: available for MDF and Legacy Positions;
- Nomination History;
- View Lineage Chart;
- View Role Details: this option displays the Job Profile associated with the Position (in case you have Job Code stored at the Position Object) or with the incumbent. Only available if Job Profile Builder is enabled.
- Create Job Req: only available if Recruiting is enabled. Users with permissions to create job requisitions will see this option.
- Hide Position or Hide Profile: hides the position or user until you click on the "Show All Positions" option, next to the "Display Options" icon.
For complete information on the Position Cards, see the Succession: Implementation and Administration Guide - Position Cards.
From within the Position Card, you can Add Successors to the position. This allows you to nominate internal (regular) users and also to nominate external users (recruiting candidates).
Adding External Candidates
It is possible to nominate your existing Recruiting Candidates (external users) and also to create a candidate from the Succession Org Chart to nominate to the position. For more information on this feature, refer to the Wiki Page Succession Org Chart - External Candidates (Recruiting).
If you have the Career Worksheet and you allow users to conduct an assessment of competencies, you can leverage the Recommended Successors feature when adding successors. For more information, refer to Wiki Page Succession Org Chart v12 - Recommended Successors and Readiness Percentage.
Development Plan Integration
If you have the Career Development Plan module enabled, it is possible for Succession Planners to see the employee's development goals and to add new goals when they are adding a new successor. For more information on this feature, refer to Wiki Page Succession Org Chart v12 - Development Goals when adding successor.
The Talent Card is used to display detailed information about the employee. It can display standard elements, background elements and special information, such as successors and nominations, and the latest Matrix Grid Placement. To display it, you first click on the position node to open the Position Card and then click on the incumbent or on the successors to open their Talent Card.
For more information on the Talent Cards, refer to Succession: Implementation and Administration Guide - Talent Cards.
Bridge KBA: 2837771
- Succession Org Chart - Highlighting Key/Critical Positions
- Succession Management - Admin Center - Nominations Set Up page.
- Succession: Implementation and Administration Guide - Talent Cards
- Succession: Implementation and Administration Guide - Position Cards
- Wiki Page Succession Org Chart - External Candidates (Recruiting)
- Wiki Page Succession Org Chart v12 - Recommended Successors and Readiness Percentage
- Wiki Page Succession Org Chart v12 - Development Goals when adding successor