Frequently Asked Questions
Which SAP products are supported on SQL Server 2012?
Currently, SAP supports the following SAP products on SQL Server 2012:
- SAP products based on SAP NetWeaver 7.0 including all EHPs
- SAP products based on SAP NetWeaver 7.1 to 7.4 and higher including all EHPs
For installation restrictions, see SAP note 1651862 (SMP login required).
For more information about SAP products supported on SQL Server 2012, see the Product Availability Matrix (PAM) at http://support.sap.com/pam.
Which editions of Windows Server 2008 (R2) are supported with SQL Server 2012?
SAP supports the following 64-bit Windows Server 2008 (R2) editions:
- Standard edition, Enterprise edition, and Datacenter edition
- Windows Server 2008 (R2) Server Core is not supported by SAP.
You can find the information about supported Windows versions in the Product Availability Matrix (PAM) at:http://service.sap.com/pam.
With SQL Server 2012, SAP no longer supports 32-bit database servers, 32-bit application servers, Itanium-based database servers, or Itanium-based application servers. If you run your SAP system on 32-bit Windows or on Windows for Itanium-based systems, you cannot upgrade to SQL Server 2012. SAP does not plan to support 32-bit SQL Server 2012 in the future.
Where do I find information about installing and running an SAP system on SQL Server 2012?
Read the following document: Upgrade to and Installation of SQL Server 2012 in an SAP Environment.
You can download it at: http://service.sap.com/instguides -> Database Upgrades -> MS SQL Server (SMP login required).
In addition, read the following SAP notes (SMP login required):
Are older SAP releases supported on SQL Server 2012?
SAP releases based on 4.6C, 6.20, and 6.40 are not supported on SQL Server 2012.
What are the benefits of using SQL Server 2012?
SQL Server 2012 introduces many new features and enhancements in all SQL Server components, including the following new features used by SAP:
- AlwaysOn – a new more comprehensive high-availability and disaster-recovery technology
- SQL Server Column-Store, which is implemented for SAP BW of the listed SAP NetWeaver releases
- Improved online index handling
- Enhanced monitoring already implemented in DBA Cockpit
Please provide any feedback or questions regarding the content under the current page comments. If you have an issue or is looking for help, try to post your question on SAP community with Microsoft SQL Server tag.
In order to leave comments, you must be logged on with your SAP account.