The purpose of this page is to clarify the understanding of the system logic and requirements in relation to the Production Planning Run.
To describe how Production Planning Run works on PP/DS. This page will show what is, how to configure and a example of Production Planning Run.
Table of Contents
The planning in APO-PP/DS can occur in two ways:
- as interactive individual planning
- as total planning for a group of products (online or in background)
The Production Planning Run is one of the ways that we can use to plan a group of products/resources/orders/operations, and can be done an online planning (for small selection of products) or background planning (for mass planning).
Tcode: /SAPAPO/CDPSB0 - foreground and /SAPAPO/CDPSB1 – background
In Customizing for Production Planning and Detailed Scheduling (PP/DS) you have to maintain the profiles required for controlling the production planning run, the heuristics, or functions. They are: Time profile, Propagation range, Strategy profile and Optimization profile.
- Planning Version - Specify the planning version that will be used
- Time profile - Specify a period for planning. Can be a past and future time. In the tests usually we use SAP001.
- Simulation version - s a version for simulations, where we can plan the orders without compromise, because in the end we will choice if we want to adopt the schedule or not.
If any simulation version is there in your scenario, you can select that so that system will write the results in that first, and then later on it will be copied to active version.
- Propagation Range - Defines the resources and products that can be panned in production and detailed planning. SAPALL permits the planning of all resources and products.
- With planning file entry - Changes relevant to planning (as newly created sales order, dependent requirements, changes in master data...) results in a planning file entry for the correspondent product.
If this flag is not set, all selected products will be planned, else if is set, only the products which planning file entries will be planned.
To check if a product has or not a Planning File Entry, you may access Net Change Planning (/SAPAPO/RRP_NECH). Here also contains the low-level code of the products, that is, the order/sequence of planning.
Here you will insert the heuristics and functions that will be used to plan the products.
Additionally you will set which objects will be planned to. You specify the following data for each processing step:
- The heuristic or function you want the system to execute in this processing step
- The profile for controlling the heuristic or function, such as the optimization profile for optimization
- The objects for which you want the system to execute the heuristic or function.
To exclude some step you can click in the trash button.
An example of how individual steps can be placed in a logical sequence is shown below:
1º - SAP_PP_020 - Stage-Numbering Algorithm
The low-level code controls the sequence in which the material will be planned.
First the materials with low-level code 0 are planned, then the materials with low-level code 1, and so on.
Is set in this way, to each item, and is used to perform a level-by-level explosion.
In the related content you can find more information about the low-level codes.
2º - SAP_MRP_001 – Product Planning
The MRP heuristic processes the products in the sequence of their low-level codes, this means, it run the product heuristic for each product, in the sequence that they must be planned.
The product heuristic is filled inside the product (/SAPAPO/MAT1) and also can be shown in /SAPAPO/RRP_NETCH.
In the related content you can find more information about the MRP Heuristics that can be used.
3º - SAP001 – Schedule sequence
When you start the heuristic for the selected operations/resources, the system deallocates these operations and then schedules them again in the desired sequence.
The system performs rescheduling using the strategy settings that you have defined for the heuristic.
Good to know
- The PP Planning Procedures influence in the production planning run, because of this you have to check which Planning Procedure were configured in the products that you want to plan. Te recommendation is to use the Planning Procedure 4 (planning in Planning Run)
- You can then use the Production Planning Run to plan products with any lot size
- You may use variants to save the performed steps
SAP Help: Production Planning Run
SAP Help: Heuristics for production planning
SAP Wiki: Low-level code
SAP SCN: Summarizing Production Planning Run
SAP SCN: Planning Using SAP_MRP_001
SAP Note 961569: Object selections in production planning run
SAP Note 518556: Using heuristics in the production planning run