The SAP Snap-In for Microsoft Management Console (MMC) provides a graphical user interface to administer SAP systems from Windows PCs. It is installed with any SAP application server on Windows by default. The default configuration allows you to administer any locally installed SAP application server. As of release 45B, however, SAP MMC can manage any local or remote application server on Windows, and as of release 6.40, application servers running on any OS platforms. SAP MMC versions are fully backward compatible. Therefore installing the latest version is recommended and enables the latest features and fixes. Starting with release 7.10, SAP MMC is shipped as a fully self-contained standalone standard Microsoft installer package (MSI). This makes it very easy to install it on any Windows PC.
As of release 6.40, the SAPControl web service of sapstartsrv is used to manage application servers running on any OS platform. Releases < 6.40 SAP MMC (< 7.49) still utilize the ISAPControl DCOM interface of sapstartsrv to administer application server running on Windows. In addition. the command line tool sapcontrol can be used to administer application server via the SAPControl web service. Do you know the SAP Management Console (SAP MC)? and the SAP Management Perspective of SAP NetWeaver Developer Studio are alternative graphical Java / Eclipse based user interfaces, providing similar features as SAP MMC.
Download Latest SAP MMC Snap-In Released Build
You have to log in to SAP Service Marketplace to access the download pages.
On SAP Service Marketplace you find the latest released versions of the SAP MMC Snap-In for the following platforms:
SAP internal: SAP employees can download the latest development version via our internal wiki page.
SAP MMC change log
- Standalone logviewer mode: As of 720 patch level 71 (SAP note 1527500) SAP MMC allows to use the logviewer functionality for separate logfiles.
- Data Collector Parameter: As of 720 patch level 90 (SAP note 1556121) you can specify additional "Collector Parameter" when creating a server side snapshot, especially usefully for MDM customers.
- Logviewer Improvements: As of 720 patch level 102 (SAP note 1623165) the logviewer functionality is greatly improved and e.g. allows to export logifle in CSV format.
- Extended HA support: As of 720 patch level 421 (+ corresponding sapstarstrv Version on SAP system side) SAP MMC provides extended High Availaibilty (HA) support in case the corresponding HA solution support its (e.g. latest version of SAP Microsoft Cluster integration). You can check the overall HA configuration and status using "Verify High Availability Config" menu, view HA solution details using "High Availabiliy Info" menu and trigger a cluster node move using "Move to node" button in the "HA failover instance state" popup).
- Persist Profile Parameter changes: As of 740 (+ corresponding sapstartsrv Version on SAP system side) SAP MMC can persists profile parameter changes in profile using the "Persist changes in profile" check box on the "Parameter" popup. Please note that you should not use this in case you also maintain profile parameters using ABAP transaction rz10 since rz10 database profile content will become out of sync if the profile is edited directly on the file systems as well .
- Advanced HDB support: As of 740 (+ corresponding sapstartsrv Version on SAP system side) SAP MMC provides seperate Stop of HDB instances for Systems with integerated HDB database instances using the "Skip HDB database instances" check box as well as HDB Database Studio integration via "Manage Database" menu.
- Profile Parameter Documentation: As of 740 (+ corresponding sapstartsrv Version on SAP system side) SAP MMC can dispaly the profile parameter documenation using the "Documenation" button in the "Parameter" popup or "Help" button / F1 key in the "Instance parameter" and "Startprofile" popup.
- Rolling Kernel Switch (RKS): As of 741 (+ corresponding sapstartsrv Version on SAP system side) SAP MMC supports RKS to update a Kernel without any system downtime. System supporting RKS will show an additional "System update" node. You start a RKS procedure using "Update system..." menu and view the RKS log using the "View update traces..." menu.
- SAP Software Download Center integration: As of 741 SAP MMC lets you easily navigate to the corresponding Kernel download of a selected SAP instance using the "Download Kernel Patch..." menu.
- SAP Syslog to Developer trace navigation: As of 742 SAP MMC lets you easily navigate form the syslog view to the correspond dev trace via "Developer Trace" context menu of a syslog entry.
- C Callstack of processes: As of 742 (SAP note 1964673) you can query the callstack of all threads of a process via "All Tasks->Callstack" menu in SAP MMC if the instance supports the new webmethod "GetCallstack".
- Log file analysis to Developer trace navigation: As of 743 SAP MMC lets you easily navigate form a logfile analysis (or syslog) popup view to the corresponding dev trace via "Developer Trace" context menu on the log entry.
- Start/Stop/Restart multiple instances: As of 745 patchlevel 5 and 742 patchlevel 121 SAP MMC displays instance type column in the right side result pane on the system nodes, allows you to select multiple instances (using shift or ctrl key + mouse click) from this list and apply a start/stop/restart operation to all selected instances of the system.
- Improved local instances detection: As of 745 patchlevel 5 SAP MMC detects local instances via Windows service registration instead of DCOM interface registration. This allows automatic detection of local instances even if the (deprecated) DCOM interface is not active.
- Check Profile Parameter: As of 746 (+ corresponding sapstartsrv Version on SAP system side) SAP MMC provides a profile parameter check via "All Tasks->Check Parameter" menu of instance and system nodes.
- Enhanced https support: As of 747 SAP MMC provides notification for SSL / certificate issues when running in https mode and allows to disable the corresponding check in SSL handshake.
- Enhanced webdispatcher support: As of 747 (+ corresponding sapstartsrv Version on SAP system side) SAP MMC provides additional webdispatcher monitoring via "Groups", "Virtual Hosts" and "Url Prefixes" nodes (downport from NGAP branch).
- Cleaned up Database support: As of 748 SAP MMC no longer installs any DB vendor specific extension snapins and supports latest versions of Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio.
- DCOM ISAPControl interface support removed: As of 749 SAP MMC no longer uses nor supports the deprecated DCOM interface.
- ASCS online restart: As of 749 SAP MMC supports an ASCS instance restart via "Update..." menu on the the instance node while the system remains running like it is also used within RKS.
- Enqueue Replicator 2 monitoring: As of 750 SAP MMC supports monitoring of Enqueue Replicator 2 (Locks, Statistic).
- Gateway monitoring: As of 750 (+ corresponding sapstartsrv Version on SAP system side) SAP MMC supports gateway (ABAP or standalone) monitoring (clients and connections table, cancel/delete of clients and connections).
- Configuration files access: As of 750 (+ corresponding sapstartsrv Version on SAP system side) SAP MMC supports read access via "All Tasks->View Configuration Files..." menu to all configuration files (Profiles, ACLs, reginfo, secinfo, ...) of the instances.
- Https certificate check: As of 749 patchlevel 14 (SAP note 2361335) and 750 SAP MMC SSL communication problem notification allows you to inspect the server certificate in detail via "View certificate". Via "All Tasks->Check Certificates" you can check certificates of single instance, systems or even you entire system landscape.
SAP MMC - Related Tools
SAP MMC automatically integrates with many SAP and third party tools to provide additional functionality like SAP logon, remote login or Database Administration. By installing these tools on your Windows PC you can add additional functionality to SAP MMC:
- SAP note 877795, "Problems with sapstartsrv as of Release 7.00 & 6.40 patch 169"
- SAP note 927637, "Web service authentication in sapstartsrv as of Release 7.00"
- SAP note 995116, "Backward porting of sapstartsrv for earlier release"
- How to use the SAPControl Web Service Interface
- How to extend the SAP MMC SnapIn
- SAP System Information in Directory Services
- Microsoft Management Console - Overview
- Microsoft Management Console 3.0