SAP HANA software includes lifecycle management procedures for customizing and updating your SAP HANA platform and for managing SAP HANA content products and transports. It is provided with each SAP HANA system.
The services offered by SAP HANA lifecycle management roughly cover two aspects:
- Platform lifecycle management to install and customize the SAP HANA platform
- Application lifecycle management to manage SAP HANA content products and content transports
Platform Lifecycle Management Aspects
Installation and Update of SAP HANA
SAP HANA is available either as appliance (where you get pre-configured hardware with pre-installed software from your SAP HANA certified hardware partner) or via SAP HANA tailored data center integration delivery model (where you gain more flexibility concerning reuse of your hardware and are responsible for the installation and validation of SAP HANA in your landscape).
For the installation and update, the SAP HANA lifecycle management command line tool hdblcm and a graphical user interface tool hdblcmgui is available as of SAP HANA SPS07. With the SAP HANA tailored data center integration program, it is now possible to perform the installation by yourself. As prerequisite for installing SAP HANA systems on your own, you have to pass an SAP HANA Installation Certification Exam – for more information, see the SAP HANA Education: Course & Certification Program.
Updating your SAP HANA platform is performed in addition to the standard maintenance procedures for updating SAP systems, which are also valid for SAP systems running on SAP HANA.
Customization of SAP HANA
No matter how you provision SAP HANA, you’ll have the ability to customize platform lifecycle management aspects of your SAP HANA system by using SAP HANA lifecycle management tools:
- Integrate your SAP HANA system into your landscape (for example, by configuring System Landscape Directory (SLD), configuring the internal network communication or by renaming the SAP HANA system)
- Administrate your SAP HANA landscape by adding/removing further hosts or SAP HANA systems
For more information, see:
- Installing SAP HANA SPS08: What's New
- Take Your Choice: How to Integrate SAP HANA as Smoothly as Possible Into Your Data Center
- Now It's Up to You to Perform The SAP HANA Installation!
- Nohup & hdblcm: how to update SAP HANA over an unreliable network
- Installation in SAP HANA SPS 07 - welcoming hdblcm(gui) to the family
- SAP HANA Lifecycle Manager – how to get it?
Application Lifecycle Management Aspects
Building and providing an application based on SAP HANA requires Lifecycle Management features, like applications based on other technologies: You have to define the structure and metadata of your application, while considering various aspects such as dependencies. You need support to be able to track changes and to bundle your development artefacts, especially when working in bigger or distributed development teams. Additionally, you need options to move or transport your code and objects through your system landscape: from development to test and ultimately, on to production. Furthermore, when you plan to deliver an application you develop, you require the ability to package or assemble the components of a product in a manner which provides a consistent container for the delivery. This is where automated functionality supporting the final assemble process is beneficial. When you build and deliver an SAP HANA application, it often requires not only the pure installation itself, but sometimes you need to configure several parts in order to get it up and running. In which case, it makes sense to include configuration elements in your shipment.
SAP HANA Application Lifecycle Management is an XS application which is part of your SAP HANA platform installation (starting with SPS 06), which aims to support the various facets of the lifecycle of an application as described above:
- To get all the details about SAP HANA Application Lifecycle Management, refer to the presentation SAP HANA Application Lifecycle Management (HALM).
- For details on what is new in a certain SPS, refer to the respective presentation:
- The SAP HANA Developer Guide provides information about application lifecycle management.
- For an introduction to Change Management and Transports, refer to SAP HANA application lifecycle management.
- Detailed guides for integrating SAP HANA with CTS+ are available here.
With SAP HANA Transport for ABAP, you can synchronize objects and packages from the SAP HANA repository to the SAP HANA Transport for ABAP repository (HTA repository) in the ABAP system and add them to a transport request. SAP HANA Transport for ABAP can be used when development objects in ABAP and SAP HANA have closely linked content and need to be transported together. HTA is the successor to HANA Transport Container (HTC). SAP HANA Transport for ABAP is available since SAP NetWeaver 7.40 SP11. For more information: