SAP recommends that you perform a system copy to create test, demo and training systems. Also, if you need to change your operating system and/or database, you have to perform a migration of your SAP system.
System copy enable you to create consistent copies of your SAP systems, flexibly adapted to your needs - be it an SAP system distributed to several hosts, a high-availability system or a system on a rather exotic operating system/database combination. Also, the procedure is offered for ABAP, Java and dual-stack systems.A system copy can be either homogeneous or heterogeneous.
Homogeneous or Heterogeneous System Copy
Homogeneous System Copy :
- Both operating system and database system stay the same
- Performed in most cases with database -specific procedure (database - independent procedure could optionally also be used)
Heterogeneous System Copy :
- One of the following is changed during the system copy:
- Operating system (in this case, system copy is called OS migration )
- Database system (in this case, system copy is called DB migration )
- Operating system and database system (in this case, system copy is called OS/DB migration )
Use of system copy procedures
The system copy procedure is useful in case of :
- Create test, demo and training systems as copy of existing systems.
- Change your operating system and/or database by migrating your system.
Action plan for system copy procedure
- Download the software provision manager tool (SWPM)
- Download the documentation for latest version of system copy guide from SAP Support Portal at: http://support.sap.com/sltoolset --> System Provisioning
See product availability matrix of SL Toolset in SAP Support Portal at: http://support.sap.com/pam
- Check latest information in following SAP notes :
- Perform preparation tasks as described in system copy guide
Unpack the Software Provisioning Manager 1.0 or 2.0 ( For unpacking the software use SAPCAR tool , please see SAP note 212876 - The new archiving tool SAPCAR )
- Use the command : SAPCAR –xvf <download directory>/<path>/<Archive>.SAR -R <unpack directory>
- Start the sapinst tool ( \sapinst.exe OR ./sapinst )
- Execution EXPORT phase
- Execution IMPORT phase
- Follow Up activities
System Copy Guides
System copy guide based on Software Provisioning Manager 1.0
System copy guide based on Software Provisioning Manager 2.0
- System Copy Guides - Software Provisioning Manager 2.0 . Please refer LINK
- SAP WIKI on system copy details : WIKI
Migration to SAP HANA
- For the migration to SAP HANA, several migration path options are offered - see the Migration of SAP Systems to SAP HANA page for an overview.
- For the classical migration to SAP HANA, see the corresponding Classical Migration to SAP HANA page.
- Best Practice Guide - Classical Migration of SAP NetWeaver AS ABAP to SAP HANA → LINK
- FAQ - System Copy and Migration: → LINK
- Overview - System Copy and Migration with Software Provisioning Manager 1.0 → LINK
- Technical Details - System Copy and Migration Process with Software Provisioning Manager 1.0 → LINK
SAP Support Portal at: http://support.sap.com/sltoolset
Related SAP Notes/KBAs
SAP Note 1738258 - System Copy for Systems Based on SAP NetWeaver - Using Software Provisioning Manager 1.0
SAP Note 1680045 - Release Note for Software Provisioning Manager 1.0 (recommended: SWPM 1.0 SP 23)
SAP Note 2568783 - Release Note for Software Provisioning Manager 2.0 (recommended: SWPM 2.0 SP 00)
SAP Note 212876 - The new archiving tool SAPCAR