When operating an SAP system landscape, there might be situations where you want to rename an existing SAP system. For example:
- You want to rename an SAP system provisioned by using SAP Landscape Management as part of the offered easy, fast and reliable end-to-end system copy and refresh procedure.
- You want to change characteristics of an existing SAP system, such as for changing a physical hostname to a virtual hostname or for changing the SAP system ID.
With the system rename procedure being offered as option in Software Provisioning Manager 1.0 and 2.0, change the hostname, instance number, or system ID (SAP system ID or database system ID) or any combination of these parameters of an existing SAP system based on SAP NetWeaver 7.0x, SAP NetWeaver 7.3x, and SAP NetWeaver 7.4. These changes have officially been possible only by performing a homogeneous system copy.
As a consequence, the system rename procedure can enable a faster system copy procedure for certain scenarios, as it allows to quickly adapt key characteristics of an SAP System or to make cloned systems operational (for example, you can use system rename to configure a system that has been copied to another file system along with services, users, permissions, and hostnames to be operational on the new host).
The system rename procedure is performed on the primary application server, while additional application server instances have to be re-installed. See the information below for further details, prerequisites and constraints (such as supported releases and use cases on your platform).
System rename is provided with Software Logistics Toolset 1.0 as part of Software Provisioning Manager 1.0 and 2.0.
Influence the future of the system rename procedure by collaborating on ideas for new features in SAP Idea Place, the public channel to participate in innovation at SAP. System rename belongs to the idea session Software Logistics, category System Transformation. Submit new ideas, vote for existing ideas and connect directly with the team that builds the system rename procedure!
- This presentation provides an overview of the system rename offering
- This presentation provides technical details about the system rename procedure
- For more information about the procedure, the tool and how to use it, see the System Rename Guide for your platform available at: http://support.sap.com/sltoolset → System Provisioning → Rename Option
- For more information about current coverage and restrictions, see SAP Note 1619720 (Software Provisioning Manager 1.0) and SAP Note 2568783 (Software Provisioning Manager 2.0) (Release Notes - SMP login required)
- For troubleshooting information, see the list of Troubleshooting documents for Software Provisioning Manager