Basically SAP Solution Manager 7.1 is based on ITIL (Information Technology Infrastructure Library) processes. This framework has been built by Office of Government Commerce (a UK Government Office). In July 2011, the OGC is no longer listed as the owner of ITIL, following the consolidation of OGC into the Cabinet Office. Since July 2013, ITIL has been owned by AXELOS, a joint venture between Capita and the Cabinet Office. We can still see SAP Solution Manager 7.1 and 7.2 with 15 ITIL processes certified by Pink Elephant (https://www.pinkelephant.com/en-ca/PinkVERIFY/PinkVERIFYToolsets).
New technologies change how consumers and business networks interact profoundly— and this change happens at a growing pace. This affects business’ value chains, and we have to reassess our traditional approaches and decide if it is time to replace them with new business models.
SAP Solution Manager 7.2 is an integrated platform to align business and IT on one business process landscape and drive the “business of IT” from a common understanding of business value, business models, operating models and solution powered by IT.
To support real world use cases driven by the Digital Economy (e.g. Cloud-sourcing, Agile, DevOps and service brokering), SAP Solution Manager 7.2 is based on the Open Group IT4IT™ Reference Architecture.
More information: http://www.opengroup.org/IT4IT
This standard comprises a reference architecture and a value chain-based operating model for managing the business of IT. It provides prescriptive guidance on how to design, procure and implement the functionality needed to run IT. The end-to-end, ‘how to’ emphasis of the IT Value Chain and IT4IT Reference Architecture also enables the state of services that IT delivers to be systematically tracked across the service lifecycle.
It embraces and complements existing process frameworks and methodologies, (e.g. ITIL®, CoBIT®, SAFe and TOGAF®) by taking a data-focused implementation model perspective, essentially specifying an information model across the entire value chain.
To manage the “business of IT” fully aligned with business demand, SAP Solution Manager 7.2 supports four key value chains:
• Portfolio to Project (P2P) - Strategy to Portfolio
• Requirement to Deploy (R2D)
• Request to Fulfil (R2F)
• Detect to Correct (D2C)
If you are not using SAP Solution Manager yet, these are the new key features you might be interested:
- Designed to optimize value from SAP S/4HANA through its entire lifecycle and is fully incorporated in all SAP S/4HANA service packages.
- The new version of SAP Solution Manager is planned to be the first to run on the SAP HANA® platform and to offer a single view of the entire SAP software infrastructure, including SAP HANA.
- SAP Solution Manager employs best-practice content from model companies and the SAP Activate innovation adoption framework.
- Taking advantage of the SAP Fiori® user experience, SAP Solution Manager 7.2 anticipates significant enhancements, enabling users to personalize and extend software screens with ease.
- SAP is also offering focused solutions for SAP Solution Manager for the first time.