Starting with Solution Manager 7.2 the distinction between Comparison Object and Comparison Instance was removed. The complete comparison definition is done in one screen and the administration overview was enhanced with a button row allowing easy access to all needed actions.
Create a new comparison from scratch
To define a single comparison start CDC as described in Start Cross-Database Comparison (CDC) and click on button Create. This will take you directly to the maintenance screen for comparisons. This screen is divided into 4 main sections:
- Global Parameters
Here you provide general data like the name of the comparison and the connection details to be used.
- Iteration Parameters
You maintain whether iterations should be performed during execution and the exit conditions.
- Comparison-Specific Filters
Here you define filters not specific to the model, e.g. for parallelization.
- Data Model for Comparison
You define the actual data to be compared and filters that are not comparison independent.
When clicking Create, the first step is to enter the name for the new comparison into the appropriate field that is already editable. After you used ENTER additional fields can be entered.
These fields are:
- Comparison Description: A short description of the comparison
- Data Model: The name of the data model you want to use for the comparison. If the data model already exists it is loaded in section data model. If the data model does not yet exist, a new empty model will be loaded.
- Extraction Strategy: Define the extraction strategy for data selection. The extraction strategy also determines partially which source types can be used. Possible values are:
- Default: Individual data selection in each source system: As default the extraction happens on both source systems individually.
- Use keys of source system 1 to select in source system 2 / Use keys of source system 2 to select in source system 1: You need to filter on objects, that can only be identified in one source system based on filters and you want to compare exactly these objects with the other source system
- Execute comparison in one system (new in Solution Manager 7.1 SP12): Execute the comparison in one source system and only pass the result to Solution Manager instead of executing the comparison in Solution Manager.
- Max. No. Differences:
- Description Source 1:
- Description Source 2:
- Block Size Source 1:
- Block Size Source 2:
- Source Type 1: The source type 1 describes how you would like to access the first source system that should be compared. Refer to chapter Source Types Available for CDC for details.
- Source Type 2: The source type 2 describes how you would like to access the second source system that should be compared. Refer to chapter Source Types Available for CDC for details.
- Parameters for Source Type 1: Within this tray you define the required connection parameters to source 1. These depend on the actual source type chosen. In additiona, you will see details how the data to be compared is extracted from the source system. Refer to chapter Source Types Available for CDC for details concerning the individual source type specific fields.
Parameters for Source Type 2: Within this tray you define the required connection parameters to source 2. These depend on the actual source type chosen. In additiona, you will see details how the data to be compared is extracted from the source system. Refer to chapter Source Types Available for CDC for details concerning the individual source type specific fields.
Create a comparison using a data model from the KPI catalog for SAP Solution Manager
The KPI catalog for SAP Solution Manager is a cloud service provided by SAP. It provides comprehensive definitions and technical documentation of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and the related metrics available in SAP Solution Manager. The KPI catalog also includes some predefined data models for Cross-Database Comparison.
With Solution Manager 7.2 it is possible to download a predefined data model directly into the CDC application and modify it there.
To use a predefined data model in a comparison, start the CDC application and press Create in the Comparison Overview. As for every new comparison, enter a comparion name and press enter. You can now enter the global parameters and the parameters for the two source types. Provide a data model name and press again enter. Now you can select Export/Import and Import Data Model from Central Catalog.
The KPI catalog only with CDC KPIs (CDC data models) will be displayed and you can select one of the data models via the respective readio button. After the selection, press OK to trigger the download.
Now the selected data model can be used and modified in the CDC application in the same way as data models created from scratch.
To access the KPI catalog for SAP Solution Manager you need an S-user for the SAP Service Marketplace.
Transfer comparisons from another SAP Solution Manager
You can import comparisons from another SAP Solution Manager in the form of XML-files, e.g. from a development system to a productive system. To do so, execute the following steps:
- Select the comparisons you want to transfer in the Comparison Overview of the source SAP Solution Manager
- Choose "Other commands → Export" in the menu
- This will open the comparisons as XML in the browser. Save the xml-file(s) to your local hard disk.
Note: You have the options to export multiple comparisons as a single file as well. To enable this feature set "Export multiple comparisons as one file?" to "X" under preferences.
- Logon to the target SAP Solution Manager and start CDC. Choose "Other commands → Import".
- Select the saved xml-file in the popup, import it and upload it to CDC. If you have chosen to export multiple files you have to perform this step for each file.
Mass creation of comparisons
There are cases where you need to define many similar comparisons and do not want to create each single comparison from scratch. CDC offers mass activities for this purpose. Please refer to Mass Activities for more details.
- No labels